Favorite Ethnic Instrument in Film Scores?

bruuen

after thoroughly listening to the music for 'memoirs of a geisha' it rekindled my fascination in ethnic instruments and how well they can work in western music.

an instrument i absolutely love that williams uses frequently in geisha is the 'Bansuri' an indian flute (for those who don't know, it makes the high pitched airy sound) such a cool sound.

list you favorite or favorites (another famous ethnic instrument is of course the sitar, adds great atmosphere and authenticity in certain scenes)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of partial to the hardinger fiddle in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. That score seems to be a treasure trove of ethnic instruments-the rhaita, the hardanger, cimbalom, and various African percussion instruments. But Memoirs is great too.

this reminds me of the what is your favorite use of the triangle in John Williams scores.

The Clarinet is my top favorite...probably because I played that in junior high and still have it. All though I don't play it any more.

My other two favorite instruments are the French Horn and the Trumpet.

The Clarinet is my top favorite...probably because I played that in junior high and still have it.  All though I don't play it any more.

My other two favorite instruments are the French Horn and the Trumpet.

Ethnic instruments?

My favourites are hardinger/hardanger, koto, daiko drums, rhaita (excellent twisted sound), tin whistle if that can be defined as ethnic, the celtic instruments in general.

Oh oops....I mis-read the title...for some reason I didn't see ethnic in there. I'm not really with it tonight.

Well in that case...hmm...I'm not sure....sorry about my previous post!

after thoroughly listening to the music for 'memoirs of a geisha' it rekindled my fascination in ethnic instruments and how well they can work in western music.  

an instrument i absolutely love that williams uses frequently in geisha is the 'Bansuri' an indian flute (for those who don't know, it makes the high pitched airy sound) such a cool sound.

list you favorite or favorites (another famous ethnic instrument  is of course the sitar, adds great atmosphere and authenticity in certain scenes)

It's a shakuhachi flute, which is also my fav.

Goldsmith must have started it though. After all, when he told Sandy De Crescent he needed a duduk for that score, she had no idea what he was talking about. :)

Ethnic instruments?

The Blaster Beam.

Marian - :thumbup:

:music: The Great Raid (Trevor Rabin)

well i'm not too keen on ethnic instruments, but i can say my least favorite is that insturment James Horner uses everywhere beginning with Williow, and everywhere in MOZ and the missing.

The kazoo's from Chicken Run. :thumbup:

I wonder what nation takes the blame for inventing that particular instrument :music: