favorite Indy score

tpigeon

Which Indy score is your favorite?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I think you'll be surprised. Adjust your expectations, if all you're used to is contemporary movies (like some people here). But it is a hell of a lot of fun. There's no way Lucas and Spielberg weren't watching this film when it came time to do TOD -- the rope bridge, the "gong" opening, Mola Ram and the Thuggee. It's just too much of a coincidence.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i won't need to adjust my expectations as i am not just used to contemporary films. i've seen so many movies in my short life and thankfully they haven't been all contemporary. i have seen many of the movies that were on your list of black and white movies. there were only a few of which i haven't seen. and i am really looking forward to this one now.

Good! That wasn't meant to be condescending, by the way -- except to the losers here who don't watch black and white movies. :angry:

What the hell are you doing up so early? Aren't normal people supposed to sleep in on Sundays?

Figo, at work since 6am. :cry: :)

1974 Nina Rota Godfather II win over the more deserving Towering Inferno

1978 Giorgio Morodor's Midnight Express defeats the Man of Steel

1980 Michael Gore's Fame steps all over the Empire Strikes Back

1981 Vangelis' Chariots of Fire sprints past Raiders of the Lost Ark.

What do all of these have in common. Each winning film won over a far more deserving film for Best Original Score.

Now playing Enigma's Sadness pt 2.

Towering Inferno, at least, is understandable. Williams was still the new kid on the block at that point, and Rota had been churning out great scores for twenty years. It should be some consolation to you that the Academy eventually considered the award invalid, since, as I've mentioned before, Rota recycled a theme from Rocco and His Brothers. Which makes no sense to me, since Horner does the same damn thing all the time, and he still gets nominated.

I'll never understand the others. Giorgio Moroder?!!! I guess there were precedents for Shakespeare in Love.

Crusade definitely had some good themes -- the Grail, Henry Jones, the Nazis, even a nifty motif for the cross at the beginning. But, alas, too many chases, too many trips to the well.

Figo, astonished the motorcycle scherzo was reprised in the end credits, when Henry's theme would have been more appropriate.

Crusade definitely had some good themes -- the Grail, Henry Jones, the Nazis, even a nifty motif for the cross at the beginning.  But, alas, too many chases, too many trips to the well.

agreed

Parsifal is better. LOL

Should I start calling you Morn? :wow:

Mari

:mrgreen: Rite of Spring (Stravinsky)

One of the cool things about Crusade is that the first 15 minutes or so has its own little score within a score: the Cross theme, the motif for "White Hat", or whatever that guy's name is, and even that theme in the train chase that could be for Young Indy. And in the last half the main themes for the rest of the film, and of course the Raiders March, start to get woven in. Really cool.

Even though I voted for Crusade for best Indy score, I agree with many of the criticisms of the film itself. It has a rushed together feel.

Wasn't that the year Chariots of Fire won?  bawling

Won against Raiders and Dragonslayer, a huge crime! :sigh:

Wasn't that the year Chariots of Fire won?  bawling

Won against Raiders and Dragonslayer, a huge crime! :sigh:

ridiculous! :P

I voted for Temple of Doom.It is a rare case where I made a recording of the unrelesaed music off a VHS tape.

:mrgreen: TOD "Deal for the Diamond","Underground Heroics",Epilogue and End Credits(movie version)..alll sadly unreleased on c.d.

K.M.

Pffft....  

eh who cares about that then.  :mrgreen:

It had great special effects, though, better than most of what's out there today. Definitely try to see it. The dragons were great.

Interestingly, the protagonist, Peter MacNicol, went on to play "The Biscuit" on Ally McBeal. LOL

I voted for Temple of Doom.It is a rare case where I made a recording of the unrelesaed music off a VHS tape.

how did you do that?

Raiders is it for me -- can't beat the Map Room: Dawn (wonderful to hear what is virtually a concert version of a theme, here for the Ark, in a film) or The Desert Chase. I love how Williams uses his great style-switching trick in the climactic scene, and takes the orchestra out of nineteenth century Romantic mode and into full-on Herrmann-Psycho mode and back again.

I only just saw LC last year for the first time! but I do want to get whatever DE of the score that comes out. I can't believe we would have to wait until '05 or later, I would think they want to use every possible tool of hype at their disposal to whip up a feeding frenzy for IJ4, and the banner-carrying diehard fans are the key to the market.

Funny, every time someone quotes Ricard in order to refute his TOD score claim, they just reprise his trumpet-call endorsement! I haven't seen that film since '84 which should speak volumes about how I reacted to it. But I am willing to give it a second chance via the score. There is a Japanese import of what I guess was the original album release in my local HMV superstore for about $35 US. Should I fork out the cash?

There is a Japanese import of what I guess was the original album release in my local HMV superstore for about $35 US. Should I fork out the cash?

That's like a dollar a minute. :?

Unless you can find it used, I would wait for the expanded issue. But that's just me.

As far as recording off of VHS, if you have the correct stereo set up, you can actually hear the music in the back speakers, including perhaps some special effects.

I think TOD rules, movie and score alike. But I think, overall, The Last Crusade is the best Indy score. I mean, they're all excellent, it's like asking a parent which kid of his is his favorite, but LC just...I dunno. It's perfect. I love the Tank Sequence piece, the Motorcycle Chase, the boat chase in Venice...it's all excellent.

It was by some talentless hack named Alex North. :angry:

:(

It had great special effects, though, better than most of what's out there today.  Definitely try to see it.  The dragons were great.

And so is the score :folder:

I'm suprised the voting is this close. While all 3 scores are filled with great moments, Raiders is tops. Williams was in his prime when he wrote this score and it shows. I can listen this score and never grow tired of it.

What's more shocking is that Crusade should be the one trailing behind the original, since it is far and away the weakest of the three. But it just goes to show what happens when kids are raised on films like Hook and Jurassic Park. They develop an unhealthy affection for warmed-over bombast and then can't appreciate superior craftsmanship when they encounter it. :evil:

Hey, to each their own, you know?

Then again, I like Hook and Jurassic Park. A lot. I just can't seem to dislike anything Williams does.

What's more shocking is that Crusade should be the one trailing behind the original, since it is far and away the weakest of the three.  But it just goes to show what happens when kids are raised on films like Hook and Jurassic Park.  They develop an unhealthy affection for warmed-over bombast and then can't appreciate superior craftsmanship when they encounter it. :evil:

Nag...nag...nag...nag...bitch...bitch...bitch...moan...moan...moan.

Stefancos- who hopes he will never grow old the way Figo does, thinking that "everything used to be better in the old days, dagnabbit!!!"

And no, Steef. Don't think I'll ever be young enough again to believe the creaky third installment of a series that's run its course is better than the inspired original.

Then again, I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy, either.