For the Night Club Scene in AOTC

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Do you think they should have done something different with the music like they did with the Cantina in ANH? Some people might say, "it's not the same kind of place", or "the scene wasn't big enough" but I would have liked to see something similar to that. What do you think?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I got the impression it was more like a sports bar than anything else, and our sports bars usually don't have music in them of any kind... too distracting from the (US) football commentaries.

:mrgreen:

But the Dex scene in the diner... that should've been done differently.

Kinda agree wirh Mr. Leader here.

The scene isn't to bad, but compared to the Cantina scene in SW it's not very interesting.

In 1977 Lucas created a slice of his Universe in that small Cantina.

In AOTC the bar is just a place were a lot of people are standing around talking or drinking.

Stefancos- :|

The scene isn't to bad, but compared to the Cantina scene in SW it's not very interesting.

In 1977 Lucas created a slice of his Universe in that small Cantina.

In AOTC the bar is just a place were a lot of people are standing around talking or drinking.

Stefancos-  :|

:|

My issues with Clones extend well beyond that scene. At least Lucas exercised restraint in not hiring the Jim Henson people to come up with another rock band.

The whole time i was hoping there would be a Cantina Band like song there. It was a sports bar it seemed anyway. There was podracing on TV and what looked like droid football (it wasnt that, but I don't remember what it was) :|

I thought the nightclub scene was excellent. I loved the chase through Coruscant and I think the music is just fine.

CYPHER

I think the nightclub's fine. :)

What did you like about it, the lack of suspense? The lingering close ups of the Star Wars actors without there make-up? The unimaginative design? There doesn't seem to be much to like about that scene.

Neil

I think the night club scene couldn't have distinctive source music for two reasons:

1. It's the end of the chase sequence; if Lucas broke into a song, the pacing of the whole sequence would've been messed up. In SW, it was the beginning of the sequence, which allowed to change the pace and mood.

2. If the night club had had a song, everyone would've been comparing it to the original cantina, just as Jabba's band was originally compared to SW back in 1983; you had the feeling of "been there, done that".

The place where I thought some cool source music would've fit in was in Dex's Diner, I would've loved to hear Williams's take of 50's/60's rock'n'roll on outer space!

-Alejandro, sooo glad the Moby rumor was just that!

I think the night club scene couldn't have distinctive source music for two reasons:

1. It's the end of the chase sequence; if Lucas broke into a song, the pacing of the whole sequence would've been messed up.  In SW, it was the beginning of the sequence, which allowed to change the pace and mood.

The pace could not have gotten any worse. Bring on the source music!

2. If the night club had had a song, everyone would've been comparing it to the original cantina, just as Jabba's band was originally compared to SW back in 1983; you had the feeling of "been there, done that".

So instead we get to compare it to those same sequences and say it should have been scored. That argument certainly doesn't hold up.

Neil

The pace could not have gotten any worse. Bring on the source music!

AotC may have several flaws, but the pacing in this particular scene isn't one of them. You just can't interrupt a chase sequence with a musical number.

So instead we get to compare it to those same sequences and say it should have been scored. That argument certainly doesn't hold up.

Neil

You don't seem to get it. Back in 1983, before ROTJ came to be revered as "part of the original trilogy and not of this new blasphemy", the general criticism was that it was essentially the same film as SW, only much worse, since many elements were used again (this scene, the Death Star, Yoda's Force speech, etc.). Why do it yet again? Breaking into song every time one of the characters goes into a bar is ridiculous; this idea has been exhausted, and I think that both Williams and Lucas have realized that.

That's why I would've prefered the source music in Dex's Diner; same general idea (because I want to hear Williams's music), but different context.

Alejandro

I'm not saying a musical number was needed, but something to break up the monotny of the scene, maybe even add to the danger.

Have you seen the 4th James Bond film, Thunderball? There is a chase through a parade that ends at a dance club. Bond is dancing with one of his pursuers as a hidden assassin is about to shoot Bond. The source music starts to get sinister, as Bond realizes what is going on. It's a wonderful scene and the music supports it perfectly. Attack of the Clones could have done the same.

Neil

Well, touché, Neil; I hadn't thought about handling it that way. Although it would be weird to see Obi-Wan dancing with his Jedi robes. Did you ever see Batman do the Batusi!?!? LOL