What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Stepmom by John Williams (Guitar Solos by Christopher Parkening).

A new acquisition. I don't remember the movie, but it makes me want to resee it!

PS: I love these soundtracks when John Williams wrote parts for soloists.

Stepmom by John Williams (Guitar Solos by Christopher Parkening).

A new acquisition. I don't remember the movie, but it makes me want to resee it!

PS: I love these soundtracks when John Williams write parts for soloists.

It is such a lovely autumnal score that one. :)

Jaws 3-D

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Jurassic Park

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park III

Jurassic World

Jupiter Ascending

Tomorrowland

Inside Out

Pax De Deux

:music:Obsession (Tadlow)

Karol

Jaws 3-D

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Jurassic Park

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park III

Jurassic World

Jupiter Ascending

Tomorrowland

Inside Out

Pax De Deux

:music:Obsession (Tadlow)

Karol

Well you have had a rather musical day haven't you? ;)

I was in the Montréal Metro few minutes ago and came across a String Quartet that played Classical Music.

When I passed them by, they started Schindler's List Theme.

My eyes went wet automatically.

Well, I guess that's the magic of John Williams! ;)

Obsession by Bernard Herrmann. It does actually feel like a companion piece to Vertigo. Has the same kind of mystical but tormented aura. And it even hints at thematic material from that film.

Karol

Supernova - David C. Williams & Burkhard Dallowitz

It's a solid listening experience, much better than the crappy film it's paired with.

Hardly. Giacchino's own sound was evident from the very beginning, in my opinion. Regardless, stuff like "We Can Still Stop Her" is definitely fresh stuff.

Own sound does not equal unique. Lost sounds like him and only him, but was there anything there that no one had done before? This one is pretty crafty from several different angles. I don't know, maybe it's just like all the other Pixars.

Die Hard 2: Die Harder by Michael Kamen (and co-orchestrated by Don Davis). It's been a while. The buildup might be slow, as with all the scores in this series, but once it reaching second part (last 50 minutes), it is action music heaven. Still my favourite in this franchise, love its rusted swagger!

Karol

Michael Giacchino - Tomorrowland

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic World

Michael Giacchino - Inside Out

John Williams - A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Complete)

I've been listening to a LOT of good film music lately!

Obsession (Tadlow Re-recording) by Bernard Herrmann: I am not quite obsessed with this yet but it is growing on me. As some have said it is a sort of companion piece to Vertigo and they are of course quite right although Herrmann approached this story containing some of the same elements with more melodramatic tone from the onset and injected it with very single minded musical structure which further enhances the obsession and sense of something being eerily off-kilter, a blurring of times and people. In his typical fashion eschewing long or catchy melodies he constructs his dramaturgy on simple repeated phrases and musical cells that add both mystery and unease to the listening experience but there are also electrifying individual moments throughout where the sturm-und-drang of the combines forces of choir, a church organ and orchestra thunder with fanatic glee that are just pure Herrmann and terrific film music. It is not all doom and portentous gloom however and the composer conjures up some sweet and lyrical gossamer passages of ethereal beauty in the way only he could do it where he weds even the most joyous or romantic phrases with hints of ghostly foreboding. The prominent wordless female chorus is one of the strongest elements of the score that set it apart from much of Herrmann's work to my ears. This combined with the gothic soundscapes of the organ does create a marvellously cathedral-like effect that embodies at times sheer horror while at others emotional elation of the grandest kind. This new resounding Tadlow re-recording is a must for all Herrmann fanatics but I would not hesitate recommending this to anyone with even a passing interest in the composer or his style.

Obsession (Tadlow Re-recording) by Bernard Herrmann: I am not quite obsessed with this yet but it is growing on me.

As some have said it is a sort of companion piece to Vertigo and they are of course quite right although Herrmann approached this story containing some of the same elements with more melodramatic tone from the onset and injected it with very single minded musical structure. This further enhances the obsession and sense of something being eerily off-kilter, a blurring of times and people.

In his typical fashion eschewing long or catchy melodies he constructs his dramaturgy on simple repeated phrases and musical cells that add both mystery and unease to the listening experience.

But there are also electrifying individual moments throughout where the sturm-und-drang of the combines forces of choir, a church organ and orchestra thunder with fanatic glee that are just pure Herrmann and terrific film music.

It is not all doom and portentous gloom however and the composer conjures up some sweet and lyrical gossamer passages of ethereal beauty in the way only he could do it where he weds even the most joyous or romantic phrases with hints of ghostly foreboding.

The prominent wordless female chorus is one of the strongest elements of the score that set it apart from much of Herrmann's work to my ears. This combined with the gothic soundscapes of the organ does create a marvellously cathedral-like effect that embodies at times sheer horror while at others emotional elation of the grandest kind.

This new resounding Tadlow re-recording is a must for all Herrmann fanatics but I would not hesitate recommending this to anyone with even a passing interest in the composer or his style.

This post was near unreadable, so I broke up a few sentences and created paragraphs.

The Book Thief

I listened to this once, I believe all the way through, when it first came out. Left no impression on me, which is almost impossible for a Williams score.

I gave it another go just now and I'm only on track 4, "Ilsa's Library", and already I'm having the opposite reaction. This is an extremely pleasant and lovely score. No idea what type of mood I was in for me to be so indifferent toward it initially, but I feel like I've been missing out.

Obsession (Tadlow Re-recording) by Bernard Herrmann: I am not quite obsessed with this yet but it is growing on me.

As some have said it is a sort of companion piece to Vertigo and they are of course quite right although Herrmann approached this story containing some of the same elements with more melodramatic tone from the onset and injected it with very single minded musical structure. This further enhances the obsession and sense of something being eerily off-kilter, a blurring of times and people.

In his typical fashion eschewing long or catchy melodies he constructs his dramaturgy on simple repeated phrases and musical cells that add both mystery and unease to the listening experience.

But there are also electrifying individual moments throughout where the sturm-und-drang of the combines forces of choir, a church organ and orchestra thunder with fanatic glee that are just pure Herrmann and terrific film music.

It is not all doom and portentous gloom however and the composer conjures up some sweet and lyrical gossamer passages of ethereal beauty in the way only he could do it where he weds even the most joyous or romantic phrases with hints of ghostly foreboding.

The prominent wordless female chorus is one of the strongest elements of the score that set it apart from much of Herrmann's work to my ears. This combined with the gothic soundscapes of the organ does create a marvellously cathedral-like effect that embodies at times sheer horror while at others emotional elation of the grandest kind.

This new resounding Tadlow re-recording is a must for all Herrmann fanatics but I would not hesitate recommending this to anyone with even a passing interest in the composer or his style.

This post was near unreadable, so I broke up a few sentences and created paragraphs.

Thank you editor-in-chief and chief editor. Much appreciated.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence by John Williams: Kind of nice.

Inside Out :music:

This might very well become my favorite Giacchino film score. Still need to see the film though.

I am a bit on the fence with this one concerning its actual memorability and emotional impact although I have to admit it is very unique score in his ouvre.

This might very well become my favorite Giacchino film score. Still need to see the film though.

I am a bit on the fence with this one concerning its actual memorability and emotional impact although I have to admit it is very unique score in his ouvre.

For me, it nails both of those aspects. Better than any previous Giacchino (film) scores I dare say.

Yep. Crafty, but I've not latched on to anything yet.