What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

If there is something worth listening to from Horner's output (the latter part of his career) it would be those three.

Karol

There's still plenty of great scores of his in the new decade (The Missing, The Four Feathers, etc.) but those 3 are great examples.

:music: Brass Buttons, Out of the Frying-Pan, A Good Omen :drool:

Real stunners, these 3!

John Carter by Michael Giacchino

Return of the King Complete Recordings by Howard Shore

Lincoln by John Williams

Die Hard 2 and Lincoln

I'm loving Kamen's score. The OST album never convinced me, and now I know why. Because some of the best bits are not in it (it's Star Trek V, First Knight all over again).

Williams score becomes better and better with each listen. It seems like one of those works that I'll listen to only occasionally. Which is why I'll never will get tired of it.

Karol

The Lincoln themes have been insistently playing in my head all week. I had to try to exorcise them with a listen of the album. I am not sure it worked. :P

I like the Skyfall score a lot. I like that Thomas Newman didn't really try to imitate other styles, which perhaps led to the complaint that it doesn't sound Bond-y enough for some. The use of electronics are excessive, and the song really should have been on the album, but those are my only real complaints. There's plenty to like here. The action writing is great, particularly in "She's Mine." I almost wish the album ended with "Mother"(perhaps punctuated by Adele's song) as that packs a great emotional wallop which would have well concluded the listening experience.

It's at least a 4/5 album for me, if a lower end 4.

Elmer Bernstein "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone."

Decent science fiction score that reminds me of Craig Safan's "The Last Starfighter". I guess this is to Elmer Bernstein what is for John Williams - Star Wars and to Jerry Goldsmith's - Star Trek.

Lincoln by John Williams: Help I am being haunted by this score! I can't stop listening! Beautiful, beautiful stuff.

The Nativity Story by Mychael Danna: Absolutely gorgeous fusion of orchestra, choir, soloists and ethnic instruments. Danna embraces aeons with his approach, the music a well thought out tapestry of cultural, historical and dramatic musical considerations, the score traveling the length and breadth of Western and Middle Eastern musical tradition, both profane and sacred with many famous Christmas carol melodies, liturgical and folk songs appearing to chart the course of this story through history. The composer does this with unifying grace, finding a beautifully lyrical and uplifting, dare I say spiritual, way across all these elements and creates a thoroughly satisfying dramatic whole.

The Nativity Story by Mychael Danna: Absolutely gorgeous fusion of orchestra, choir, soloists and ethnic instruments. Danna embraces aeons with his approach, the music a well thought out tapestry of cultural, historical and dramatic musical considerations, the score traveling the length and breadth of Western and Middle Eastern musical tradition, both profane and sacred with many famous Christmas carol melodies, liturgical and folk songs appearing to chart the course of this story through history. The composer does this with unifying grace, finding a beautifully lyrical and uplifting, dare I say spiritual, way across all these elements and creates a thoroughly satisfying dramatic whole.

(Y) (Y) (Y)

I still prefer Jeff's The Gospel of John, but both scores are fantastic. The Danna brothers often do great things with such historically/religious themed films. And their expertise in ethnic instrumentation is often displayed with masterful craft in such scores.

The samples from Life of Pi shows hints of the wonderful writing Mychael Danna's Water. I'm quite excited for it!

donkey kong country - eveline fischer, robin beanland, david wise

I thought E.F. and R.B. only wrote the music for the third game....

Well it could be that I never played DKC2 or 3 until the Wii's VC, so they feel like later remakes/reboot/spinoff sequels.

Less Classic IMHO.

Diddy Kong's Quest is the pinnacle of the SNES along with Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World.

All three are perfection; and who doesn't love the Hookesque menu music?

Can't county how many times I beat each of these games.

The complete release for Star Trek Generations. God I love this score! My favorite highlight of the score is "Soran Kidnap Geordi". However, all the previously unreleased cues really does help the listening experience. I hope we get Insurrection and Nemesis soon...

The Phantom Menace. I love Anakin's Theme, it's so full of unfufilled promises.

I agree (But I still like (not love) the last two Prequel Scores)

I agree (But I still like (not love) the Prequel Scores)

I like AOTC and Rots, but I LOVE TPM.

I agree (But I still like (not love) the Prequel Scores)

I like AOTC and Rots, but I LOVE TPM.

Oops, I fixed my post!

In terms of listening to soundtracks Varese's Die Hard 2 overwhelmed everything in the past week. It's such a fun score. I wish more films had a sense of humour like this one. Unlike the first hide-and-seek type of score, this one is pure action. Especially in its loud last 30 minutes. And while some of the material is a reworking of the first score (in a Chamber of Secrets kind of way), to hear it in such a good sound is a revelation. It is such a uniquely sounding series, in the action/thriller genre clearly up there with the best. One of my favourites this year, definitely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z1Xh5kwLxs&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3l_Bvo224M

Now... bring on the third one!

Karol

Yesterday early morning around this time (after 6am) I started a Star Trek film score marathon listening to all 11 Star Trek scores in a row. All though I didn't finish it last night and stopped half way through Star Trek Insurrection since I went to bed early last night. I've continued it and I'm almost done with Star Trek Insurrection.

Of course when I started this marathon I started off with Star Trek The Motion Picture (just the main body of the score). Giacchino's Star Trek score will be the last one to listen to.

I've never done this before I mean have a marathon listening to all complete scores. It's actually been a cool experience at least for myself since as you guys know I love ALL the Star Trek film scores.

Home Alone by John Williams

One of those strange scores that seems quite unremarkable to me for most of the year, but lightens up (like a Christams tree, yay!) once a year. This LLL is very precious to me for sentimental reasons. I had to spend that Christmas Eve completely on my own that year, for the very first time in my life. I was disheartened and tired and when I came back from work I found a package with this CD under my door. It was late for a week or two so I didn't expect it at that point. But there it was, on Christmas Eve. Perfect timing. It made that evening much, much, much more enjoyable.

Did I mention I love the use of Dies Irae in this score? Clever, Mr. Williams, very clever. But I didn't know that before reading the liner notes. And while the main theme might be the most popular, Star of Bethlehem is where heart of this work really resides.

Karol

I was just listening to the score today and I have to say I agree on what you say 100%. Such a superb evocation of Christmas time and all its facets. :)

And while the main theme might be the most popular, Star of Bethlehem is where heart of this work really resides.

Karol

STAR OF BETHLEHEM is actually better than a lot of christmas carols. Back then i scanned the album for the source because i thought JW did a quotation.

And while the main theme might be the most popular, Star of Bethlehem is where heart of this work really resides.

Karol

STAR OF BETHLEHEM is actually better than a lot of christmas carols. Back then i scanned the album for the source because i thought JW did a quotation.

Yes Williams really captures something quintessential about Christmas in it. It has that solemn hymn structure, which gives a nod the Christmas church, a certain loneliness and melancholy that is the more pensive side of the holiday season and indeed a feel of an old authentic Christmas carol.

Certainly. Somewhere in my Memory was nominated for an Oscar, but Star of Bethlehem *should* have been nominated and should have won.

Did I mention I love the use of Dies Irae in this score? Clever, Mr. Williams, very clever. But I didn't know that before reading the liner notes.

Probably one of my favorite uses. I especially like how after the church scene Williams incorporates Carol of the Bells into "Setting the Trap." Its use has so much more meaning than I originally thought.