Yerushalayim Shel Zahav

rpvee

So I'm sure us John Williams fans know very well his use of Israeli folk song "Yerushalayim Shel Zahav" at the end of 'Schindler's List' (and also how it was humorous to Israeli critics, as the song is about Jerusalem and has nothing to do with the Holocaust). The song in general (specific versions aside) is one of my favorites of all time, particularly due to its verse melody, and I find it very interesting that Williams chose to use this song in his score.

This is the original version of the song performed by its first-ever singer, Shuly Nathan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRCAaggIqDs

And perhaps the most popular version, by late Israeli star Ofra Haza:

I just figured I'd make a thread about this song, since Williams featured it so prominently at the end of one of his most famous scores. Also, is the film version of his version available anywhere? The one on the film's soundtrack is quite different sounding.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The film version, with guitar accompaniment, was apparently taken from the 1991 French film Pour Sacha. The soundtrack album is out of print, but I found a used copy on Amazon.

I really can't recommend Pour Sacha enough - not because it's the only source of the film recording of "Yeroushalaim," but because the score by Philippe Sarde is probably my favorite ever. There's just something so ancient and wistful about it. Check out audio samples here.

The film version, with guitar accompaniment, was apparently taken from the 1991 French film Pour Sacha. The soundtrack album is out of print, but I found a used copy on Amazon.

I really can't recommend Pour Sacha enough - not because it's the only source of the film recording of "Yeroushalaim," but because the score by Philippe Sarde is probably my favorite ever. There's just something so ancient and wistful about it. Check out audio samples here.

Really? That's very interesting. I have the version from that film (there are two, but I know which one you're referring to), and I knew they sounded similar, but I don't think they're one in the same. The one in Pour Sacha has a slightly louder female vocal, while Schindler's version is a pretty balanced choir.

Wonderful song and although I've heard it a lot,the one in my YT favourites has been the Ofra Haza one.

Hearing it in that original guitar performance, it seems to have a very Sephardic (Iberian) feel to it I'd say.

The song was actually taken out of the film when shown here, replaced with a different song (called 'Eli, Eli'). And the Iberian sound makes sense- accusations that the song bears passing resemblance to a Portoguese song haunted its writer, Nomi Shemer.

The song was actually taken out of the film when shown here, replaced with a different song (called 'Eli, Eli').

Interesting.

And the Iberian sound makes sense- accusations that the song bears passing resemblance to a Portoguese song haunted its writer, Nomi Shemer.

Even more interesting. Rather like George Harrison and "My Sweet Lord".

The song was actually taken out of the film when shown here, replaced with a different song (called 'Eli, Eli'). And the Iberian sound makes sense- accusations that the song bears passing resemblance to a Portoguese song haunted its writer, Nomi Shemer.

Really? Do you know what Portuguese song that might be?

Really? Do you know what Portuguese song that might be?

Not off hand, but I'll do a search for it.

EDIT: I was a bit confused- it's actually an old Basque song, called 'Pello Joxepe'. Shemer's song is a major cultural touchstone here, and reportedly she acknowledged before her death that she could have been influenced by it, but not knowingly. She stated that the realization was so troubling that it contributed to her illness, though all this is hearsay.

Here is that song. I personally barely hear any similarity... maybe in the first part of the verse melody, but otherwise I feel it's way overblown:

Really? That's very interesting. I have the version from that film (there are two, but I know which one you're referring to), and I knew they sounded similar, but I don't think they're one in the same. The one in Pour Sacha has a slightly louder female vocal, while Schindler's version is a pretty balanced choir.

It's the exact same recording. There's no doubt that subtle EQing was applied, as with any piece of music when it's put into a film, so that could be responsible for the perceived imbalance in the choir. When I say same recording, I mean the same as on the original soundtrack album to Pour Sacha (track 2), not the film, Pour Sacha. The film uses a different recording that may have been done live.

It's the exact same recording. There's no doubt that subtle EQing was applied, as with any piece of music when it's put into a film, so that could be responsible for the perceived imbalance in the choir. When I say same recording, I mean the same as on the original soundtrack album to Pour Sacha (track 2), not the film, Pour Sacha. The film uses a different recording that may have been done live.

Huh - the film version is the one that sounded similar to me. I was informed by someone that the version for the film was by a group called "Adama" (Earth), and I found two versions by them (the one in the movie itself, which I assumed was by them, and then another in which there's just one singer). Where can I hear the one on the soundtrack?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I split the surround sound channels of Schindler's List in hopes of getting a clearer version of the one used at the end of the film. I did indeed get it without the hiss that I guess was for the sound of being outside, though the kicking of Goeth's stool and his last words are still in it. Despite the clearer audio, I still can't tell if it really is the same one as used in Pour Sacha.