What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

TRON

Visually groundbreaking, though now severely dated. One can see how the look of this film inspired other films (The Matrix, for example).

But outside of the way it looks, the film really doesnt have much to offer.

Overall it's naff, really naff. A simplistic good versus evil tale with a healthy dose of 1980's Disney poured on it (which makes 1980's Amblin look rugged by comparison).

The acting by Bridges and Boxleiter is actually quite terrible, especially inside the mainframe where we see software programs with real personalities and religious beliefs.

This would be interesting if it wasnt all presented in such a flat, chirpy manner.

The music is good though. And overall the film does entertain. But it is rather a poor film. No depth whatsoever.

*1/2 out of ****

Watched this a few years ago for the first time and I liked Tron, but then I'm also a gamer that doesn't mind spending a lot of time in artificially created worlds, the whole 8-bit (or less) gaming vibe being present.

It has a certain 80s charm and the outdated visual effects were actually pretty groundbreaking for its time. I saw the making of and it was incredibly fascinating from a conceptual standpoint.

I saw it as an adult and didn't really get it. I think its one of those movies you love if you grew up watching it as a kid, and if you didn't are mostly ambivalent towards it.

TRON always seemed like the filmmakers were more interested in the groundbreaking effects than they were the story or the characters. It's not by any means the worst movie of the 80s, but with its dull performances and blunted story it was definitely destined to become dated by now.

Ironically . . . much could be said of the newer version, except the "dated" part. Wasn't much of an improvement over the original.

Different laws of "physics," I assume.

It did create a world that was unique in both concept and design. Hey, I loved the movie as a kid. It was made for me, after all. I'm just saying it doesn't stand up through the adult years the way other childhood films did—Star Wars, for instance.

Different laws in a virtual world 101

You honestly don't think that those lightcycles are powered by fuel, gas, or electricity do you?

Or that the words that come out of the character's mouths are uttered by human vocal chords?

:huh:

Transsiberian - reasonably enjoyable, largely train-set thriller with Woody Harrelson, Emily Mortimer and Ben Kingsley. Goes off the rails (arf) a little towards the end, but solid entertainment nonetheless.

TRON: Legacy

Visually arresting. It takes the computerized worls from the 1982 films and thoroughly updates it to post 2000 specs. This is a beautiful film to behold.

While the first film stood visually on it's own this one clearly takes inspiration from other movies. Not just TRON, but a large dose of The Matrix.

Old Jeff Bridges house looks like it was inspired by the waiting area at the end of 2001, with it's lit white floors and antique furniture. Since this film features both an old and young version of Flynn, much like there were multiple versions of Bowman, I'm sure this wasnt a coincidence. And lastly the sci-fi homage is rounded of with a dollop of Blade Runner, as the hero and his not quite human companion rise through the woods on to a new future.

It's a good thing that the film looks so good, because the plot is beyond ridiculous, and yet pedestrian at the same time.

Jeff Bridges returns 28 years later. And while he is decent enough as the old Flynn, they used extensive CGI to make him younger as his own adversary, and it just looks distracting. Worse even then the prologue of X-Men 3.

Since the other effects are of a very high calibre it must juts be an uncanny valley things.

Garret Hedlund is the lead as Flynn's son, and he reminds me of a slightly less creepy Hayden Cristiansen. Not a lot of charisma there. Olivia Wilde is decent is a rather odd role.

The music is rather superb, though the temptracking of Bourne becomes a bit too apparent at some point.

So it's a worthy sequel in that it's visually stunning, but really stupid. It's more brooding and epic then the 1982 film, because all films are these days.

** out of ****

I'd give it 3 out of 5, I quite enjoyed it at the cinema, and it certainly was frequently spectacular to look at on the big screen. The cg Bridges was poor effects though. The hokum story was a non issue for me because it was popcorn sci-fi, like the original.

To have two french dudes from a completely different musical background provide such a spine-tingling and thematically excellent score is an impressive feat in itself.

Wait, a certain Mr Zimmer is thanked in the booklet. Well that helps I guess... :)

I'm sure it would have been quite a sight to behold in the cinema, in 3D.

It actually disappointed me, but that was more due to something not right with the glasses or the projection. It impressed me a whole lot more at home.

I was really impressed with TRON Legacy in theaters. I walked in after it started when I got off work, and I literally caught it from when the kid goes into the cyber world for the first time. And this is when the 3D kicks in too, and the visual aesthetic was just really awesome.

Bought it on blu and it lost all of that magic at home.

The score is incredible. So good that it improves the experience of seeing the film in every respect.

TRON: Legacy

It's a good thing that the film looks so good, because the plot is beyond ridiculous, ...

Ans so is the storytelling. IMO, Tron Legacy is one of the worst directed movies that I've seen. An empty video clip made by someone who doesn't know what he's doing and who has nothing to say. It's Jeff Bridges' worst performance too. Make no mistake, this one has a permanent spot in my top 10 worst movies. The score could've been merely instrumentals of K3. I expected much more from Daft Punk (especially since everybody was raving about it).

John Wick:

Many people will say it's stupid but at least it knows it's stupid. That might be true but after a while I had a belly full of killing and shooting. Give it 'a shot' if you are a fan of shoot 'm up games or movies. The good folks at RT or IMDb seem to believe this is one heck of a movie.

John-Wick-movie-poster1-e1412109912746_z

5/10

Alex

Ans so is the storytelling. IMO, Tron Legacy is one of the worst directed movies that I've seen. An empty video clip made by someone who doesn't know what he's doing and who has nothing to say. It's Jeff Bridges' worst performance too. Make no mistake, this one has a permanent spot in my top 10 worst movies. The score could've been merely instrumentals of K3. I expected much more from Daft Punk.

I really love the score and its several remix appendixes but i completely forgot the movie which i incidentally saw in cinema. It's like the movie got erased by one of the MIB sticks.

Captain America : The Winter Soldier - OK yes, the 'huge fight while everything explodes' ending is becoming over-used by Marvel movies. But this otherwise rolls along just fine, with excellent action sequences and a pleasing conspiracy-thriller element thanks to Robert Redford's slippery turn as Alexander Pierce.

I caught the tail end of Edge of Tomorrow while channel surfing, and I always get sucked into it. It's just that well-directed, action is great and the scripting is very solid for a big summer movie. Tom Cruise has never been better here (and Emily Blunt is his equal in every way), and while Christophe Beck's score is okay -- it works great in the movie by context. I originally watched this for a certain UK actor, but his appearance was a bonus in hindsight.

dfc8777b-3878-4dad-a1d1-fa2776aed32f_zps

Alvar knows exactly who I'm referring to here.

Captain America : The Winter Soldier - OK yes, the 'huge fight while everything explodes' ending is becoming over-used by Marvel movies. But this otherwise rolls along just fine, with excellent action sequences and a pleasing conspiracy-thriller element thanks to Robert Redford's slippery turn as Alexander Pierce.

Agreed on all accounts.

Agreed on all accounts.

It's a better film then the more hyped Guardians Of The Galaxy. Simply because the plot is a bit more engaging

While that might be true, I give them the same rating. Guardians had fantastic other-worldly places, an amiable group of characters, humor, ... those things are worth points too. If every Marvel movie is a good as Winter Soldier and Guardians, then I won't complain. They just need to find a solution to replace the giant air battle climax. It could turn a 7/10 movie into a 8/10 movie.

Alex

While that might be true, I give them the same rating. Guardians had fantastic other-worldly places, an amiable group of characters, humor, ... those things are worth points too. If every Marvel movie is a good as Winter Soldier and Guardians, then I won't complain. They just need to find a solution to replace the giant air battle climax. It could turn a 7/10 movie into a 8/10 movie.

Alex

For me GOTG had bigger high points, but also a lot of spots where I rather zoned out (anything to do with the rather generic excuse for a story)

Cap 2 is more enjoyable all the way through

It's not a movie, it's a video game.

Tron Legacy is a video game. Guardians is good old fashioned Saturday Matinee Fantasy.

When i grew up, fantasy didn't consist of hourlong deafening battles between obviously computer-generated space-and-what-else-ships without any kind of story advancement or logic behind it - even KRULL had a better final 30 minutes than this.

Cap 2 is more enjoyable all the way through

It's more serious (without the super powers it could be a Bourne flick) but they are both enjoyable. The Incredible Hulk is not enjoyable.

It's not a movie, it's a video game.

Tron Legacy is a video game. Guardians is good old fashioned Saturday Matinee Fantasy.

When i grew up, fantasy didn't consist of hourlong deafening battles between obviously computer-generated space-and-what-else-ships without any kind of story advancement or logic behind it - even KRULL had a better final 30 minutes than this.

That's a problem for Winter Soldier or Avengers as well. Like I said, they need to find a solution for that.

I still haven't seen that one. I suppose I should.

Ed Norton just turns me off.

Then you better stay away from this one. It's incredibly stupid in a non-entertaining way.