8 The Crackerjack Box* 1:30

9 The Sentries** 2:17

10 The Escape of Hollis* 1:17

11 More About Donna* 1:02

12 The Count Down / Swing, Swing, Swing** 4:41

13 The Brannigan † 1:19

14 Here We Go 4:22

15 Kelso in Barstow** 3:42

16 Service Tunes* :50 contains interpolation of "Anchors Away" by A. H. Miles and D. Savino

17 Encounters* :56

18 Kelso’s Attack / Deep in the Heart of Texas** 3:15 contains interpolation of "Deep In The Heart Of Texas" by D. Swander and J. Hershey

19 Eat Lead* 2:48

20 Defending the Homeland* 1:46

21 Wally Saves Betty** 2:00

22 Sound Off / Stolen Motorcycle* 4:23 contains interpolation of "The Duckworth March" by W.L. Duckworth

23 Ward’s Big Gun* 1:45

24 Going My Way Sister* 2:08

25 More Kelso :59

26 Taking Aim* 1:10

27 The Ferris Wheel** †† 3:08

28 The Tank Approaches / Finale* 5:26

29 “1941” End Credits 6:18

Disc 1 Time: 77:08

DISC 2

THE 1979 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

1 The March From “1941” 4:11

2 The Invasion 8:20

3 The Sentries 3:31

4 Riot at the U.S.O. † 1:18

5 To Hollywood and Glory 3:14

6 Swing, Swing, Swing 4:06

7 The Battle of Hollywood 5:39

8 The Ferris Wheel Sequence †† 1:29

9 Finale 6:16

Total 1979 Soundtrack Album: 38:26

SOURCE MUSIC

10 In the Mood 3:43

Music by Joe Garland and Andy Razaf; Arranged by Glenn Miller

Shapiro Bernstein & Co. Inc.

11 Jingle Bells* 2:59

Music by James Lord Pierpont

12 Down By the Ohio (Instrumental)* 3:57

Music by Abe Olman / Jack Yellen

Cromwell Music Inc / Jack Yellen Music

13 Play-Off* :15

14 Goodnight, Sweetheart* 1:42

Music by Ray Noble, Jimmy Campbell, Rudy Vallee, and Reg Connelly

EMI Robbins Catalog Inc

Total Source Music: 12:40

ADDITIONAL MUSIC

15 Promo Trailer* 2:30

16 Sub Commander / Wild Bill Kelso / Capture of Hollis (alternate)** 4:23

17 The Escape of Hollis (alternate)* 1:14

18 Kelso in Barstow (alternate)** 3:43

19 Defending the Homeland (alternate)* 1:06

20 Sound Off (alternate)* 2:41

21 More Kelso (alternate) :55

22 Finale (alternate)* 3:04

23 “1941” End Credits (alternate) 6:55

Total Additional Music: 25:54

Disc 2 Time: 78:06

* Previously unreleased.

** Contains previously unreleased material.

† Traditional, Based on “The Rakes Of Mallow,” Arranged by John Williams.

†† Including “By the Beautiful Sea” Words: Harold R. Atteridge, Music: Harry Carroll; Published by Shapiro, Bernstein & Col, Inc.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to note that Williams co-composed a couple of the alternates with other composers.

No, that is not the case. The notes refer to existing music that Williams incorporated into his score. Perhaps the notes should have read thusly:

CD1, track 16 contains interpolation of "Anchors Away" by A. H. Miles and D. Savino

CD1, track 18 contains interpolation of "Deep In The Heart Of Texas" by D. Swander and J. Hershey

CD1, track 22 contains interpolation of "The Duckworth March" by W.L. Duckworth

No, that is not the case. The notes refer to existing music that Williams incorporated into his score. Perhaps the notes should have read thusly:

CD1, track 16 contains interpolation of "Anchors Away" by A. H. Miles and D. Savino

CD1, track 18 contains interpolation of "Deep In The Heart Of Texas" by D. Swander and J. Hershey

CD1, track 22 contains interpolation of "The Duckworth March" by W.L. Duckworth

Ah ok. Thanks for the elaboration Jason! That explains it. :)

I've edited the main post to make it more clear.

Also, for you "I like my source music interspersed with the score" people:

CD 2 track 10 "In The Mood" goes between CD 1 tracks 2 and 3

CD 2 track 11 "Jingle Bells" goes between CD 1 tracks 2 and 3

CD 2 track 12 "Down By The Ohio (Instrumental)" goes between CD 1 tracks 10 and 11

CD 2 track 13 "Play-Off" goes between CD 1 tracks 11 and 12

CD 2 track 14 "Goodnight, Sweetheart" goes between CD 1 tracks 16 and 17

I wonder why we only get the instrumental version of Down by the Ohio? The version in the movie is sung by the Andrews Sisters, isn't it? It certainly sounds like them.

Not that I'm complaining. This looks like a great release, and a must-purchase.

Can we not pre order this? We just have to get online ASAP on the 27th? This is like "Blue Box Day" all over again! I remember waiting for hours to finally get through to the FSM site to order the Blue Box, it was so jammed full of people purchasing the set! Exciting times. I'm really going to miss FSM releases.

So the full score (as heard in the film) fits on one disk? That's the biggest surprised there

Does this mean Disk 1 is essentially a better edited version of the Johnny Express bootleg?

But there wasn't a lot of worthwhile missing music from the Home Alone OST. Certainly not 70+ minutes.

I think there's quite a lot

But there wasn't a lot of worthwhile missing music from the Home Alone OST. Certainly not 70+ minutes.

I think there's quite a lot

You mean this still is, even after the Deluxe Edition?

The set only contains music recorded by WIlliams for the film; Not existing material needle-dropped into the film

1941 was yet a again a Spielberg film where Williams had his hands full. Over 150 minutes of music for a comedy albeit or should I say especially for an action comedy is A LOT.

Can we not pre order this? We just have to get online ASAP on the 27th? This is like "Blue Box Day" all over again! I remember waiting for hours to finally get through to the FSM site to order the Blue Box, it was so jammed full of people purchasing the set! Exciting times. I'm really going to miss FSM releases.

La-La Land doesn't do pre-orders. The only way to get this one early is to be at the screening of the movie Sunday night in LA. Otherwise the whole world gets their chance to order it at the exact same time: 1pm PST on Tuesday.

So the full score (as heard in the film) fits on one disk? That's the biggest surprised there

Does this mean Disk 1 is essentially a better edited version of the Johnny Express bootleg?

Not at all! The Johnny Express Bootleg was simply a fan's edit of the laserdisc/DVD isolated score, which obviously contained a ton of looping, tracking, edits, and lots of missing music. This is every cue in order presented without edits. There's lots of material on this set nobody has heard in 32 years

That stuff is never announced ahead of time. We'll know when the official LLL email goes out late Monday night / early Tuesday morning.

La-La Land doesn't do pre-orders. The only way to get this one early is to be at the screening of the movie Sunday night in LA. Otherwise the whole world gets their chance to order it at the exact same time: 1pm PST on Tuesday.

Thanks. I'll make sure I'm on my break and sitting in front of a computer at that time.

Will the intrada shop also sell this CD cause i'm already registered there? What i also couldn't find out is if you can pay with

a credit card at the Lalaland shop...

Yes, Intrada will also sell the CD and yes, you can pay with a credit card at La-La Land. I do it al the time.

I admit, I am not crazy about this score (or about the movie, for that matter).

But I will get it anyway, just on general principles. I have an idea that I won't listen to it for some time, though.

It's one of those rambunctious scores everyone should love, but somehow i'm content with the march...with a possible addition of the end credits. The rest is technically impeccable, but somehow a chore to listen through.

I haven't listened to this score in a looong time. Somehow the DVD iso rip didn't do it for me

I'll re-discover it

I am pretty sure the score as a whole, unedited and presented as recorded will be quite a revelation to all fans. And a good way to rediscover a full bloodied John Williams action/comedy score for a Spielberg film from 1970's. :)

Same here.

I think this is going to be a really great listening experience.

I agree. I think 1941 is one of the more coherent comedy scores JW has composed. Despite various musical jokes which do take the music to several directions the main thematic material keeps the musical narrative and flow strong. Especially the terrific march. The music does not feel disjointed as say A Guide for the Married Man tends to do as it goes from one style to the next without much to tie it all together.

The 1941 score is almost as good as Williams' masterpieces such as Jaws, Star Wars, CE3K, Superman, The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders, E.T., Return of the Jedi or Temple of Doom. My favorite parts are those that include the motif associated with Nancy Allen's character.

The 1941 score is almost as good as Williams' masterpieces such as Jaws, Star Wars, CE3K, Superman, The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders, E.T., Return of the Jedi or Temple of Doom. My favorite parts are those that include the motif associated with Nancy Allen's character.

Do you mean the "Planes on the Brain" motif? That was the one thing besides the march theme that I noted when I first watched the film. Excellent dreamy music for her obsession. :P