Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek The Motion Picture - 2012 La La Land 3CD (and now: 2LP)

Jay

he could have signed it in the blank space

I was expecting him to. But at that point, he was too ill to do a public signing, they just collected the covers for him to sign after the first concert and returned them after the second one.

How are the liner notes? How is Jim Titus' art design?

Liner notes: From what I read, absolutely superb, though I've not really sat down and read through them.

Track by track breakdown is great in there.

Design: Absolutely perfect. Great picutres related to the tracks in the breakdown, many of them stills from the movie itself.

Very easy on the eye, with a simplicity and elegance that we often get from Mr. Titus.

That was fast....I got mine today.

I just want to make it abundantly clear that Bruce Botnick is clearly a higher evolved form of life. I cannot believe this release contains music from 33 years ago. It sounds better than some of the recordings released this year.

I photoshop'd the other version of the cover to 800x800 for my eventual iTunes import:

7349426084_28c310fa9d_b.jpg

I can't wait for mine to arrive! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow but, I don't really expect it until Saturday.

wow, that's exceptionally fast. but don't you live in boston? mail between big cities is much faster than rural addresses.

I expected it to sound better than the OST, but I never expected this.

The electronic chimes are missing from the main theme in the End Title. That was the one cool thing about it compared to later versions .

where is it shipping from? LA?

I believe so.

I'm in Utah and I was hoping I'd have the same luck with Hook and get it today but alas. I should have it tomorrow.

wow, that's exceptionally fast. but don't you live in boston? mail between big cities is much faster than rural addresses.

I don't live near Boston at all, in fact I live closer to Providence. I'm kinda in the middle.... Well 25 mins from Prov and 45 from Boston

still pretty urban, and the mail is much quicker in urban areas. enjoy

Ya I'm surprised Jason got his before me, generally it's the other way around. All though packages from California generally go up to Salt Lake City then back down here to Cedar City. I'm not sure why it couldn't go from Cali to Vegas then here to Cedar City, kind of stupid to go the long way.

I'm on the same coast as Jason, in North Carolina and I got it today as well. Ordered it on release. I think I made a thread about this a while back, but mail from California takes 2 days to get here. But if I expect the same mail from say...Atlanta, it'll take 4-5 days.

Didn't order mine until Wednesday, so I won't get it until next week. But I'm looking forward to this about as much as any soundtrack I've gotten since ... well, if we're talking strictly rereleases, it's probably tops on the list, ever.

I ordered mine from SAE so it'll arrive sometime next week, and since it was shipped to my home, I'll get it next weekend.

I can't wait to listen to the remastered Inside Star Trek album!

Didn't order mine until Wednesday, so I won't get it until next week. But I'm looking forward to this about as much as any soundtrack I've gotten since ... well, if we're talking strictly rereleases, it's probably tops on the list, ever.

I'm very glad to see you posting. I enjoy your thoughts very much.

I'm on the same coast as Jason, in North Carolina and I got it today as well. Ordered it on release. I think I made a thread about this a while back, but mail from California takes 2 days to get here. But if I expect the same mail from say...Atlanta, it'll take 4-5 days.

Blume, I can mail something to my Mom in LR and she will get it in a day. She can mail me something back and I will get it in 2 or 3 days. It's small town America. But I'm in no hurry. I've waited 33 years for this what's a few days more.

I did check to see if mine had shipped and the order said pending review.

Well the money was taken out Wednesday from my bank, so naturally I was concerned.

a simple call ended my fears, the gentleman who I spoke to said pending review meant pending shipping and I'm still 600 down the list. Said it will ship Monday.

Yup mine did come today. Currently doing a custom edit for my iPod.

I'll be doing a full listen to of the main score tomorrow morning when my parents and I leave for Vegas.

It's here. It's magnificent.

Good to see that a stimulating conversation has resulted from people getting their copies, eh? <_<

My copy arrived today! :D

I haven't had the chance to listen yet. Did anybody else get an insert in a little cardboard envelope? It looks like something that should have an autograph on it, but of course does not.

My copy arrived today! :D

I haven't had the chance to listen yet. Did anybody else get an insert in a little cardboard envelope? It looks like something that should have an autograph on it, but of course does not.

Read the spine of the copy you got carefully, then compare to the reprinted version you got in the envelope

So, how about that awesome music, eh? I was surprised to hear brass in the opening of Spock's Arrival (revised version, both takes); never noticed that before on the '99 CD.

I'm very glad to see you posting. I enjoy your thoughts very much.

Thanks! I've been pouring a lot of energy into my blog, so I'm not around here as much as I'd like to be.

A useful snippet of information thanks to Mike Matessino (posted on the FSM board):

The scores for the following cues say "Adapted by Fred Steiner" on them:

Goodbye Klingon

Goodbye Epsilon Nine

Pre-Launch

Warp Point Eight

Warp Point Nine

Meet V'ger

System Inoperative

Hidden Information

V'ger Speaks

A Good Start

Both "Star Trek TV Theme" cues say "Alexander Courage" and the various versions of "Love Theme" say "Jerry Goldsmith, arranged and orchestrated by Ian Fraser."

From the La-La Land Facebook page:

STAR TREK TMP SHIPPING UPDATE

Glad you guys are enjoying this release. Things have been so busy between shipping out web orders and wholesale orders I didn't realize we blew through the first batch of cds (nearly half the run)! We have more on the way, but they are about 2 to 3 weeks out (a notice will be posted on our website shortly).

Any order for Star Trek placed after Thursday, June 7 at 10 pm pst (order #52600 and on, to be precise) is being put on hold until more cds come back in stock.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience but never in our 10 year history have we received so many orders for 1 title. It was our equivalent to the opening weekend of THE AVENGERS. lol

I do wonder how many copies went to speculators.... If this things sells out in a few months (which seems highly likely) I can see the speculators charging $60+ for it, which in my opinion is bullshit.

Technically, it was 5,000 in 2 Days, 9 hours (June 7th at 10pm), as that's where their current cutoff is!

Just some quick thoughts after listening to the first disc in total pitch black last night (HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!):

Goodbye Klingon/Goodbye Epsilon Nine/Pre-Launch

The anger, resolve, wonder and fear wrapped up into the last 30 seconds...

Spock Walk has always been a favorite "action" track of mine....and hearing it with the more prominent pianos lends it a more elegant and classical feel that just takes the whole cue up to another level for me.

In more general terms, despite all the music from the film added to the first disc, I still can't detect anything less than stellar. Every note is great and worth listening to. So you've got this base level of greatness and then you get tracks like "The Enterprise" which take you into "Oh My God, This Is Your Theme, Right?" territory. A truly wonderful musical experience, and that's just the first disc.

I'll post more thoughts as they come to me.

Mine has shipped so I'm happy.

WOO! Good feeling isn't it?

:up:

Just some quick thoughts after listening to the first disc in total pitch black last night (HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!):

Spock Walk has always been a favorite "action" track of mine....and hearing it with the more prominent pianos lends it a more elegant and classical feel that just takes the whole cue up to another level for me.

Mine has shipped so I'm happy.

WOO! Good feeling isn't it?

for years I've been lauding the dark test. it works, except for alex who thinks it's a dumb idea.

for years I've been lauding the dark test. it works, except for alex who thinks it's a dumb idea.

It's a scientific reality. When you turn down the other senses, the remaining one(s) is (are) heightened and more attuned to details.

It's the same idea behind turning down your car radio from full blast when you are lost and need to concentrate on say...street signs and the surroundings.

Am I the only one who recieved a spare print of the CD cover?

Nope, it's to replace the typo on the current case. I for one like the typo.