Before Sunrise (1995)/Before Sunset (2004) - Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy

Kevin

For those of you who don't know,

Before Sunrise is a 1995 film starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy and it's about two people who meet on a train and spend a romantic night together but they know it's only their one night together. It's more of a romantic drama than a romantic comedy.

Before Sunset is a 2004 film and it is set nine years later when our two characters meet again and have to deal with how each of their lives have turned out since their one night together.

For myself, I think I would pick Before Sunrise because it's a little more pure and 'fairy-tale' like where the Jesse-Celine romance is being developed rather than the rather grounded Before Sunset which sheds Before Sunrise's escapism and deals with the aftermath of Before Sunrise.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Before Sunset first, and while I liked it, it felt threadbare (even at 80 minutes). Then I saw Before Sunrise, and I fell in love with the characters. I love it because of the reasons you mentioned -- it's pure and unforced. But there's an intangible magic in the way the movie comes together, and the Jesse/Celine relationship reminds me strongly of my middle school years.

I wish Warner Brothers would give Before Sunrise the attention it deserves on home video, or license it out to a specialty label like Criterion. Love that movie.

Before Sunset, with its realtime pacing and its (slightly) more grounded dialogue, is, I think, somewhat dependent on the first film to establish a more complete emotional connection with the characters and convey the full impact of what has transpired over the course of their adult experience. Before Sunrise, for its part, meshes indie and Hollywood seamlessly and is one of Linklater's most charming directorial efforts.

Before Sunset, with its realtime pacing and its (slightly) more grounded dialogue, is, I think, somewhat dependent on the first film to establish a more complete emotional connection with the characters and convey the full impact of what has transpired over the course of their adult experience.

That is true. I remember being a bit lost in places when I was first watching it, but it's a decent sequel to a small film. I don't think as highly of it like a lot of critics do, but it's worth seeing.

I hear Julie Delpy and Linklater are working out a script for the third film. Hopefully it'll have more meat and more depth than Sunset did, once they get it going. Before Sunrise is one of my favorite films of all time... it's just a magical little indie film.

I watched Before Sunset first, and while I liked it, it felt threadbare (even at 80 minutes). Then I saw Before Sunrise, and I fell in love with the characters. I love it because of the reasons you mentioned -- it's pure and unforced. But there's an intangible magic in the way the movie comes together, and the Jesse/Celine relationship reminds me strongly of my middle school years.

I'm the exact reverse of this, actually. I couldn't get into Before Sunrise and found the dialogue forced and the Hawke character to be particularly annoying. I wasn't looking forward to Before Sunset for that reason, but ended up being totally charmed by it, and it allowed me to appreciate the first a bit more.

I'm simultaneously charmed and repulsed by both characters, actually. But I can see how the sequel somewhat tempers Jesse's lesser qualities, transmuting the smug knowingness of early adulthood to something more vulnerable, humbled by life's vicissitudes.

I'm simultaneously charmed and repulsed by both characters, actually. But I can see how the sequel somewhat tempers Jesse's lesser qualities, transmuting the smug knowingness of early adulthood to something more vulnerable, humbled by life's vicissitudes.

Exactly, yes, I didn't quite know how to put it. I suppose, too, that part -- maybe even all -- of why I was so overly critical of him is that I recognized that smugness and incessant, pseudo-philosophical bullshitting in both myself and in my peers. A bit like looking into a mirror, and I guess in that way the character rings true, but it doesn't make it any less hard to swallow at the moment. Sort of a cringe-worthy experience, but perhaps I'll get over myself and be able to watch with a sense of humor in 9 years ;)

Jesse and Celine don't come off as smug or pseudo-philosophical to me, at least not in Sunrise. They feel like two normal people having a conversation and the conversation flows naturally.

As for Sunset, that's a different ballgame right there.

• 5 months later...

I love these films, and have followed them closely over the years hoping for info on a new one. Before Midnight was screened at Sundance on Sunday, and has gotten outstanding reviews...it won't be long before it has a distributor. For anyone who hasn't seen these movies, you really need to check them out.

Here's one of the (spoiler-free) reviews for anyone who's interested:

"Before Midnight is Perfect"

BTW, it's not necessarily a trilogy...they may, or may not, do another one. I'd love it if they continued to do them over the years and catch up with what's going on w/these characters.

It'll be disheartening if Warner Bros doesn't pick up the third film. I would love to see a trilogy boxed set for these movies... or a Criterion release for the first film would be nice.

So much for the boxed set. I never cared anyway. Of course, Warner hasn't even bothered to release a BD of the first two films anyway (though 720p versions are on iTunes, so apparently an HD master has been made). I'd imagine that will change when the PR for the new film kicks in.

The film has gotten stellar reviews, and it remains very high up on my must-see 2013 list.

So, this is like Twilight?

I've only seen parts (of both movies). I switched it off because I couldn't stand the way the dialogue was written. To me it didn't feel like the words (of which there are plenty) belonged to the characters but to the writer living out some kind of American fantasy about Eurochicks. In a way, the movie was trying to say that Americans are deep and smart and not shallow and dumb, like the cliché goes. I know you are joking, but no, it has nothing to do with Twilight or Harry Potter.

Alex

Oh, so it's been filmed? I didn't realize. Maybe I should finally see the first two...

the third film was shot here in Greece, at Pylos!

my father comes from around those places and my aunt has a summer house exactly there ! :)

655026-The-town-of-Pylos-Greece_view.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you read any reviews on the film, but i just read a Greek one, and it says it's excellent!

I also see an imdb rating of 9.2, but that will of course go down once the film hits the theaters..

Before-Midnight-Hawke-Delpy.jpg

I don't know if you read any reviews on the film, but i just read a Greek one, and it says it's excellent!

I also see an imdb rating of 9.2, but that will of course go down once the film hits the theaters..

Before-Midnight-Hawke-Delpy.jpg

I've read a number of reviews, and they are all excellent, I haven't seen a bad one.

Looks like this has a limited May release in NY/LA. Hopefully there will be a world wide release shortly thereafter, this is one of my most anticipated films of the year.

• 1 month later...

I'm liking what I see in that trailer. The intimate conversations harken back to the original and the chemistry between the leads has only gotten better.

• 2 months later...

Today is the premiere in Greece with the stars of the movie here!

Live coverage of the red carpet premiere event in Athens, starts at 8.30 pm local time. The premiere will take place at “Cine Thisio” located at the foot of the Acropolis Hill, an open-air cinema rated 1st among the “10 of the world’s most enjoyable movie theaters”, according to CNN.

http://printamesanyxta.gr/premiere

*8.30 pm local time = 6.30 pm GMT