John Williams scoring all three new Star Wars films!!

karelm

We need another "Memoirs of a geisha", so that he asks to score it. :)

(meaning, a movie that he would be interested in very much)

Yes. Perhaps something to do with trees. ;)

We need another "Memoirs of a geisha", so that he asks to score it. :)

(meaning, a movie that he would be interested in very much)

Yes. Perhaps something to do with trees. ;)

Oh, he loves trees?

Then we should contact Pixar and ask for a love story between trees! :)

or maybe someone make a drama (The River type) on deforestation?

Sorry for being late to the party, but I thought I'd just chip in for a bit (nothing much grant you).

I've always stood by the idea that John Williams' music makes Star Wars, Even when he pushed the prequels ahead in a new direction in sound, his music is a huge part of retaining some form of the original spirit of Star Wars (however little it was present in the trilogy). If this new film was scored without John Williams, I'd honestly think it'd just seem like another Abrahms Star Trek film. Williams' music and sound is so incredibly important.

As much as I'd like the maestro to explore other genres he has yet to score like a blblical film (this is why I wanted the Moses film project to lift off), I'm incredibly excited for this. Williams already took The Phantom Menace to bold exciting new sounds. Imagine Williams working with new blood for the first time in a decade! The possibilities are endless and I can't wait to hear the potential results!

The more I hear from the key players (Abrams, Gia) the more certain I am that JW will return. I think it is a certainty that he will be offered the role so if we don't get a new JW SW score, it will be his decision not to return to the franchise. I'm remaining optimistic though.

Obviously, the prospect of a new SW score by JW is amazing but what I'm most excited about is a JW score for a JJ Abrams movie. His action direction is incredibly kinetic but fluid so I really can't wait to hear what JW will write especially following his top-notch action cues for Tintin and War Horse.

I wonder if he'll write a motif for lens flare? ROTFLMAO

Does anyone have any idea what Disney's ownership of the franchise means for Sony Classical? If we do get a JW score, is a Sony release a certainty or is it up for grabs for another label (Intrada perhaps).

Of course, assuming the ost will be about 70 mins, we'll have to contend with about another 50 mins of unreleased JW SW music (but I'm not worried about that for now).

My idea is that he is too old to "manage" the entire process of scoring a Star Wars movie.

I see it in this way: if he accepts (but I seriously doubt it), he wil write the main music "ideas" and then someone else will elaborate these ideas in a full score and conduct during the time consuming scoring sessions.

I wonder if he'll write a motif for lense flare? ROTFLMAO

WHAHAHA! Brilliant! Would they go overboard with lens flares on Star Wars as well? I'd hope they'd keep that a Star Trek thing.

WHAHAHA! Brilliant! Would they go overboard with lens flares on Star Wars as well? I'd hope they'd keep that a Star Trek thing.

Well it is Abrams! It's been a while since I've seen Super 8, but I'm pretty sure that had a good amount of lens flare also, although probably not as much as Star Trek.

I remember on Star Trek they actually had part of one of the documentaries explaining how they added all those lens flares.

They seemed quite proud of them.

i think all movies from JJ have lens flares. He likes them and its his signature... like a kind of wilhem scream...

Im sure SW 7 will have them (the other films do).

For example you can see one as soon as the imperial star destroyer engines appear on screen in the very beggining of Star Wars. It's a lensflare fest also.

Phantom menace has a lot of them too.

Episode III 1st shot is a very big lens flare...

And the lightsabers ignite lens-flare like effect in that movie. (sorry bloodboal)

Actually, I was watching Die Hard in the cinema a few months ago (great experience) and near the scene where Hans pretends to be a civilian is a very noticable lens flare but Kamen actually punctuates it as a sync point. I thought that was very cool. I actually overheard a few people discussing that after but I don't know if they were score fans or not.

i think all movies from JJ have lens flares. He likes them and its his signature... like a kind of wilhem scream...

The Wilhelm scream is an inside joke between sound mixers and editors. It's not a signature element of any one person.

Well it is Abrams!

Yes, it's quite amazing!

Im sure SW 7 will have them (the other films do).

Hopefully Star Wars will have it in somewhat less over-the-top fashion. They went so far that they made note of it in the "How It Should Have Ended":

At 1:08 "Shut down all lens flare generators" in an attempt to gain more power to the engines! ROTFLMAO

And while I'm referring to that movie anyway, having the Enterprise going through the black hole to who knows where indeed WOULD have been an excellent ending!!!

I'm rather miffed that they didn't go that route.

The Wilhelm scream is an inside joke between sound mixers and editors. It's not a signature element of any one person.

according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

it could be passed on as a Ben burrt signature.

anyway I said 'like a kind of'... :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've come to this conclusion that JW will probably score it.

If I was 81 years old and not knowing how much time I have left, I'd score these movies as long as I could as long as I'm able doing it. What else does he have to do besides the occasional Spielberg movie

Also JW probably knows SW is his biggest franchise legacy

I also think JJ abrams would ditch Giacchino in a heartbeat if JW wanted to score one his movies. He probably even asked Gia to score Super 8 to sound similar to E.T. Gia is perobaly a second choice to Abrams for not having JW like Spielberg does

You're partially right and partially wrong.

Yes, I too think Williams will likely score it, and I think Abrams does want Williams to score it.

However, Abrams definitely considers Giacchino a very dear friend. I think Giacchino will absolutely score every movie Abrams ever makes, and these Star Wars episodes (7 and if Abrams directs 8 and 9) will be the only exceptions (barring some random unavailability of Giacchino)

Besides, wasn't Williams upset when nobody asked him to do Shadows of the Empire? Or was it just a rumour?

Karol

They were just rumors, started with that infamous 1999 Starfix interview.

On a sidenote, I think JW will end up scoring the new film because, well, he's Star Wars much more than anyone else and it appears he's happy to return to the franchise. Now it's only matters of signing deals (and we'll know soon, I guess).

Watch this video below to hear this exchange:

"So I have to ask, are you coming back for number 7, Star Wars, has JJ talked to you?"

"I certainly plan to, and fully expect I'll be there, and that we'll do it."

(Starting at 1:33)

Well there you go, it doesn't get too much more definitive than that!

That is just AWESOME..!

Thanks for posting. :)

Great news, and I am very happy to see that he looks great. TPM was, in my opinion, one of the very best scores of his career... I hope he will deliver something that good!

So J.J. Abrams has confirmed he'd like Williams aboard. And Williams has confirmed he would like to be on board. Looks like we're getting another set of JW SW scores folks! Nothing could possibly go wrong.... right? :ph34r:

We're still about 18 months away from the composer having his spotting session with JJ, more than that if the film is no longer going to be scheduled for May 2015. Contracts don't really need to be signed for a while yet.

And then the outraged fans who wanted a Williams LotR will finally get what they wanted. Balance shall return once again to Force!

Hmm, I feel like I'm forgetting something...

! Nothing could possibly go wrong.... right? :ph34r:

I think the only factor now is for Williams to remain healthy

Time to get Williams to a gym.

Hell Yeahhh!!

I am a very big Giacchino fan and I hope he can compose anything Star Wars related (the stand alone films or even the new animated series) but for the new trilogy, who doesn´t want a new Williams episode (or three)??

Can´t wait for it.

P.S.: He looks very healthy in the video :).

Hell Yeahhh!!

I am a very big Giacchino fan and I hope he can compose anything Star Wars related (the stand alone films or even the new animated series) but for the new trilogy, who doesn´t want a new Williams episode (or three)??

To answer your question, just about everybody in the world, except for some board members here.