The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

Perhaps, like Lincoln, there is not going to be much music actually needed for the film (most of the music is just for the OST), so they are not worried about the time...

When parts of Tintin were screened, it was noted that the score had just been recorded and looped a couple days before. they do not need that much time between recording and premiering, given current technology.

It's not unusual to screen an "almost finished" version of a movie, especially in case of film festivals (wasn't Spielberg's Lincoln screened earlier last year at the NY Film Festival with temporary mix and no end credit roll?).

I guess the film is being scored right now as we talk and then it will be mixed and looped as fast as they can to have a version that can be screened.

It looks like the studio is already championing the film to gain momentum for the award season.

Yea I was just going to post that. It's entirely possible the version playing Oct 5 at that festival will have the temp track and not Williams' score.

Jason, didn't you say at some point in a thread that nothing is officially with Williams until it's listen here:

http://www.gsamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/WILLIAMS_JOHN.pdf

The Book Thief is not there. Should we be worried?

Oh my God I would die laughing...

The Book Thief is also part of the Heartland Film Festival in Indianapolis. Info here

“The Book Thief,” based on author Markus Zusak’s 2006 story of a German family and the Jewish man hidden in their basement during World War II, will serve as Heartland’s closing-night event at 7 p.m. Oct. 26 at The Toby. The film stars Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson and 13-year-old Sophie Nelisse.

For some reason I just expect violin solos and boredom.

For some reason I just expected this to be your comment.

I'd love to hear some violin solos, actually. It's been a while for JW (not counting some short snippets here and there).

But, for whatever reason, I doubt it'll go down the Schindler's List route.

Karol

I can't wait for it. The fact that JW went out of his way to work with a relatively unknown director probably means he was really inspired by the story. I think it's going to be great.

I'd love to hear some violin solos, actually. It's been a while for JW (not counting some short snippets here and there).

Karol

I agree. The style and feel of course depends on what are they going to focus on in the narrative. Instrumentally violin would definitely not be a bad thing. Schindler's List has still some of Williams' finest pages in my opinion, especially for the violin. I wonder if they went for a more universal or an ethnic approach in this score. E.g. the previously mentioned Angela's Ashes was masterful portrayal of the story even without the obligatory Irish musical vernacular, even better for it.

I can't wait for it. The fact that JW went out of his way to work with a relatively unknown director probably means he was really inspired by the story. I think it's going to be great.

I am waiting it with enthusiasm as well. No surprise there though. :)

Karol

I agree. The style and feel of course depends on what are they going to focus on in the narrative. Instrumentally violin would definitely not be a bad thing. Schindler's List has still some of Williams' finest pages in my opinion, especially for the violin. I wonder if they went for a more universal or an ethnic approach in this score. E.g. the previously mentioned Angela's Ashes was masterful portrayal of the story even without the obligatory Irish musical vernacular, even better for it.

My money is on Angela's Ashes treatment.

Karol

Karol

My money is on Angela's Ashes treatment.

Karol

We can certainly hope so! It would be fantastic.

Markus Zusak wrote this on his Facebook page:

Pretty crazy imagining everyone at @BookThiefMovie seeing John Williams conduct the score this week for #TheBookThief. It's poetic just seeing that scene in my head. Good luck to all of you; you're doing it with the right heart, and I'm grateful more than I can say. You're killing me (in the best way possible). mz

https://www.facebook.com/MarkusZusak/posts/655665924467299

For some reason I just expect violin solos and boredom.

For some reason I just expected this to be your comment.

Not the biggest fan of Schindler's List, I admit.

On the other hand, this is 2013 John Williams! He might as well come up with a Munich type corker of theme or who knows!

Oooooh! Another LLL Williams title!

Oooooh!

Ditto! :) I wonder would it had been one of the WB anniversary releases like Rosewood was.

Pretty crazy imagining everyone at @BookThiefMovie seeing John Williams conduct the score this week for #TheBookThief. It's poetic just seeing that scene in my head. Good luck to all of you; you're doing it with the right heart, and I'm grateful more than I can say. You're killing me (in the best way possible). mz

I'm imagining him imagining that scene in his head, and the exponential poetry is disemboweling me (in the best way possible).

I'm imagining him imagining that scene in his head, and the exponential poetry is disemboweling me (in the best way possible).

Oh that was sheer poetry in itself Alan!

Can't wait for this score, but I am bummed that one of our planned BLACK FRIDAY titles is now delayed until 2014 due to Mr Williams work on this project.

Well, at least we get a new work by him in 2013 and one expanded reissue in 2014!

MV

Sweet! Now, not only am I looking forward to hearing the Maestro's latest film score, but I am also looking forward to another La La Land Records release of the Maestro's work. I wonder, what score will be released in an expanded reissue?

well it sounds like a major one were missing

All of John Williams / Steven Spielberg collaborations have been released, with the only exception being The Sugarland Express.