John Williams and Hans Zimmer glorified by Ohio State Univ. Marching Band

JoeinAR

The Ohio State University Marching Band performs sheer magic when it plays John Williams and Hanz Zimmer. Less so with Howard Shore which is the low point in this video.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Watch-Mind-Blowing-Movie-Music-Tribute-From-Ohio-State-Marching-Band-40047.html

It's hard not to be impressed but there are always naysayers, this and the Michael Jackson tribute are a lot of fun.

I should have put a discription. They start with Williams Superman, Zimmies' MoS, Shore's LOTR, William's Harry Potter, then Jurassic Park which is amazing to see, then the finally

with POTC, the Sea battle between the SS OSU and the SS Meechegan is quite nice.

There's a reason that Ohio State's band is pitched as the best damn band in the land. I was privileged enough to see them in person (years ago), and they were superb. Though I've seen some good marching bands.

I guess I'm among the naysayers... not that I don't find the playing impressive, which I absolutely do, but I don't care for most of the repertoire selections, and I'm not that much into this sort of medleys anyway.

I'm not particularly impressed with the actual playing either -- difficult to make out in all the audience noise anyhow-- but what's very impressive to me is the formation stuff.

I don't anyone is praising the musical side of it, Miguel. The whole choreography is what is quite stunning. And they are playing while doing it

Yeah the choreography is just brilliant.

I don't anyone is praising the musical side of it, Miguel. The whole choreography is what is quite stunning. And they are playing while doing it

OK, I missed the point then... I was just listening to it while working... :P

I'll watch it this time!

The fact that college marching bands can learn a new drill and set of music each week to perform a new halftime show every week from memory, on top of pursuing a degree... That's impressive. And it was the most fun I've ever had in my life.

When the T-Rex took a step, and drew a left leg where there had only been a right... That blew my mind.

The choreography is stunning. I wonder why they didn't play the Fellowship theme in the LotR segment though...

Oh I can hear it now, but the melody is barely discernible. They should have made that the opening theme of the segment. Much more recognizable.

And Harry Potter had much cooler choreography, which might be one of the reasons it got more cheers.

The Lord of the Rings music was hard to hear when they made the concentric circles. And drawing the great eye atop Barad Dur was a bit silly. But if the eternal battle between Williams and TLOTR hinges on a college marching band's performance as heard on a tinny camcorder, please, get your rocks off.

I guess I'm among the naysayers... not that I don't find the playing impressive, which I absolutely do, but I don't care for most of the repertoire selections, and I'm not that much into this sort of medleys anyway.

Miguel, you have to understand the band has 9 minutes max to perform. They are first and foremost a marching band. They tend to do familiar medleys, they are not an orchestra and it's playing to a sports crowd.

there are about 107000 people in the stands watching. The crowd noise tends to drown out the music which in this stadium (which is a horseshoe) often is lost with the nooks and crannies of this old venue.

basically it's a visual treat more than an aural one.

filmmusic, this is what I was talking about in another thread. Our college sports is a great way to get a bit of film music among the people.

I was never a part of any particularly great marching band, but yeah, the general focus is more on the choreography due to volume issues, and we certainly never chose our repertoire with anything other than entertainment in mind.

There is something highly satisfying about 100,000 people enjoying the Lord of the Rings music, but going nuts as soon as the Harry Potter theme kicks in.

I think I may have torn a cornea due to the eye-rolling this brought on.

There is something highly satisfying about 100,000 people enjoying the Lord of the Rings music, but going nuts as soon as the Harry Potter theme kicks in.

I think I may have torn a cornea due to the eye-rolling this brought on.

Get well soon!

I'm not particularly impressed with the actual playing either -- difficult to make out in all the audience noise anyhow-- but what's very impressive to me is the formation stuff.

Marching band playing is not really conducive to great music, anyway. The low end of the dynamic range never goes below forte, for obvious reasons, so every player is blowing their brains out and they have to march simultaneously, often taking huge strides to get to a certain position in time and -- if they're marching toward an endzone -- with their torso turned 90 degrees to play out to the people in the stands. Not to mention the arrangements are simplified so as to make the music as coherent as possible within a huge outdoor stadium definitely not designed for musical performance and that is, of course, filled with hundreds and hundreds of cheering fans. It's impressive that it sounds as good as it does!

OK, WOW!!

I am just seeing this for the first time now. This was ridiculously impressive!

Even if they were just marching on the field to pre-recorded music, this would be madly impressive. The way the T-Rex moves it's legs, opens its jaw! The way the pirate ships shoot at each other and one sinks! This is so impressive!

Then you add in that the guys on the field are playing all the music while they are doing it, likely didn't have a huge time to prepare, etc - just wow!

Thanks for posting!!

OK, WOW!!

I am just seeing this for the first time now. This was ridiculously impressive!

Even if they were just marching on the field to pre-recorded music, this would be madly impressive. The way the T-Rex moves it's legs, opens its jaw! The way the pirate ships shoot at each other and one sinks! This is so impressive!

Then you add in that the guys on the field are playing all the music while they are doing it, likely didn't have a huge time to prepare, etc - just wow!

Thanks for posting!!

The T-Rex eating the Drum Major is hilarious

Very impressive. This is what they do better then the USA then anywhere else. They know how to adorn otherwise trivial events with enough sideshow attractions like fireworks, cheerleaders, matching bands etc to make it a good day out.

The Superman bit has a major flaw though. The skyscraper should have collapsed and everyone inside should have died horribly.