What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

I searched but there was really barely any discussion of Hunger Games 3 on this board at all.

Would anybody who has seen it like to chime in with some comments now?

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it. I still haven't read the books, but I've been keeping up to date with the films. Wasn't sure what to think of the first one, partly because I didn't know what it wanted to be yet. Really liked the second one, and after some initial hesitation during the first half hour or so thoroughly enjoyed the third one. JNH's scores seem to be getting better, the first one seemed like not much more than ambient wallpaper to me (although supposedly it's better on CD), but the third one had some good moments. Plus the song is nice - not great, but compared to all the actual Oscar candidates, this should absolutely have been nominated and won. Oh well... at least I'm going to hear it live later this year. ;)

I liked it. I still haven't read the books, but I've been keeping up to date with the films. Wasn't sure what to think of the first one, partly because I didn't know what it wanted to be yet. Really liked the second one, and after some initial hesitation during the first half hour or so thoroughly enjoyed the third one. JNH's scores seem to be getting better, the first one seemed like not much more than ambient wallpaper to me (although supposedly it's better on CD), but the third one had some good moments. Plus the song is nice - not great, but compared to all the actual Oscar candidates, this should absolutely have been nominated and won. Oh well...

I completely agree with all this as well!

With the exclusion of the die-hard Jennifer Lawrence fan club, I don't understand why anyone can like Mockingjay Part 1. Even my son, who has the right age, and who loved the second movie, didn't like it much.

Alex

Saw Cinderella tonight. After surprisingly positive reviews, I had moderately high expectations. I'm a Branagh fan in general, after all, although I haven't seen any of his other recent films.

But sadly, it was largely inept kitsch. Great to look at mostly, a wonderful score, and some nice supporting parts (Jacobi looks like he's barely aged in the past 25 years). The cast as a whole is probably better than is apparent, but you can only go so far with a hardly salvagable script and some of the plumpest dialogue in recent memory.

I don't understand how this can get such high marks. But if it means that Branagh may be able to do a decent film with a decent budget again in the future, so be it.

If you want a good Cinderella film, stick to Ever After.

robot-overlords-002.jpg

robot-overlords-n1.jpg

Robot Overlords

Very sad to report that this is not a very good film. I was very impressed by director Jon Wright's previous film, Grabbers, and have been anticipating this film very much since learning about it. Those hoping for another unique blend of sci fi, action, and comedy are in for a disappointment, as this is more of a straight up sci fi action film, with very little comedic elements, and far less endearing characters. The very talented Gillian Anderson and Ben Kingsley are completely wasted here, and despite what the posters and trailers might make you think, are not the leads; the main characters are a group of teenagers played by unknowns.

The plot is that robots from outer space have taken over the earth and mandated every human remains in their homes; Those who flee get a warning that they must return before being killed by robots that roam the cities keeping things in check. A group of friends find a way to avoid detection, and set out on adventures.

The setup is fine, and for a while you're into things, then the story just goes nowhere. The middle act is bogged down by boring set pieces and tedious exposition. The third act is an improvement but it is too little, too late.

Luckily the silver lining is the score by Christian Henson, which sounded very cool from what I heard. A nice classic orchestral score with electronic elements overlaid - fun electronics, not RCP style stuff. Looking forward very much to the score CD!

I had high hopes because Grabbers was so much fun. Oh well.

Hopefully it was just a sophomore slump and Wright's next film will be good again

How about Disney's Cinderella?

Saw that only a few days ago. I though it was... odd. Branagh's version is very much based on it. It improves on it in a few ways, but it has similar narrative shortcomings, and the animated version's dialogue never sinks to the cringeworthy levels as Weitz's script.

Marian's opinion can be the official JWFan opinion.

Yes! Finally De Palma will get the recognition he deserves!

Uni will feel so embarrassed now! A whole point rendered meaningless by a wrong date. Oh, the things he'll do to turn back time to undo his mistake ...

Furious 7 - I've never been a fan of this franchise, and this offers more of the same. The action sequences are marginally more believable than the ludicrous airport scene in the previous movie, and it needed more Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Every scene he was in gave the film the humor and action it needed (especially his throwdown with Jason Statham), whereas Vin Diesel's line readings had me nodding off. I can't hate this movie, in part due to Johnson's scenes and the final scene with Paul Walker's character was very moving. Fans of the franchise will likely enjoy it.

It Follows - Highly overrated. The director takes the right cues from John Carpenter -- there is a palpable air of tension and paranoia, but the score is far too self-referential to its 1980s roots. The acting is good, but not great. But the director doesn't pay attention to the film's internal logic involving the entity, and that cuts into an otherwise effective film.

So you don't think Fast 7 is deserving of Best Picture?

Of course not.

Only Oscar-worthy thing in Furious 7 is WETA Digital's work on Paul Walker's scenes. The combination of his brothers standing in plus the CGI construction of his face was excellent. There was only one or two scenes with Uncanny Valley syndrome.

IMG_20150114_220650.jpg

Everly

AWESOME MOVIE!

It's a crazy, over the top action flick starring Salma Hayek as a women who has to fend for her life against swarms of various henchmen and assassins entering her apartment trying to kill her. The entire movie takes place in the apartment, and as the film goes on the characters who come in and their assassination techniques get more and more elaborate. It's super fun and extremely violent and gory and crazy throughout.

Director Joe Lynch does a good job of balancing that craziness with proper stakes (Everly's mother and daughter are involved), some funny moments, lots of different weapons and murder techniques, and some cool shots (the movie opens and ends with long shots, the former featuring a completely naked Salma Hayek and the latter featuring a rare look outside the apartment), and a fun score by Bear McCreary (which occasionally features some christmas carols sung by Raya Yarbrough).

Watch this movie if:

-You are capable of enjoying "leave your brain at the door" type movies

-You like crazy over the top action

-You don't mind ridiculous amounts of blood and gore

-You like seeing Salma Hayek in a skimpy outfit for an entire movie

Don't watch this movie if:

-You don't like Salma Hayek (she's literally in every single scene)

-You don't like extreme violence

-You don't like violence against women

I'd watch it again!

Oh, there definitely is. The movie is Salma Hayek vs probably 50-100 random badguys of both genders. Crazy fun

Here's the trailer

Though it might be more fun if you watch it completely blind

It was like a Robert Rodriguez movie, Kill Bill, Raid Redemption, and a few other things all in a blender then distilled to a basic plot and lots of death

The best kill was probably "Bonzai, ball!" :lol:

I like the poster

everly-poster1-691x1024.jpg

We should never pass up a chance to see more of Salma since being at her hottest as Santanico Pandemonium. Especially while kicking ass in that OTT Rodriguez fashion.

Sounds like a movie made for me.

I've spend a long, hard weekend reflecting on my place here on this board. More than once I considered cancelling my membership altogether. I keep telling myself that 14 years ought to be worth something here . . . but another voice in my head insists just as loudly that after that long a time I have no excuses left. I simply can't be making these kinds of mistakes.

I'm going to give it one more try, and just hope that I may be shown some measure of mercy where I should be facing the severest kind of justice. . . .

film_review-wild_card-1000x667.jpg

Wild Card

Meh. I enjoyed the Vegas locations, of which there are plenty of beauty shots throughout the entire film, but the story is completely generic and well worn. Its hard to route for Statham's character because he makes so many dumb decisions throughout the film. I guess some of the fights were cool but in general I have to imagine this is on par with the average Statham flick that gets pumped out a few times a year (not that I've seen any) . Also its almost false advertising to list SOfia Vergara as a cast member, she basically has a cameo in the opening scene and that's it - if you've seen the trailer you've seen everything she does in the film.

Yep.

Whiplash-1.jpg

Whiplash
A good, but not great film. It deserved to be lauded for its acting by Teller and Simmons, but best picture? I don't think so. The first 2 acts of the film are definitely the best. Right from the get-go you are interested in the characters and seeing where the story is going. Then there is a certain shocking moment (I don't want to spoil anything) and everything that happens after that, you either buy into or you don't, I think. As of right now I only bought into it just barely enough to not be completely turned off from the film. In time I might view the ending as better but for now I mostly just admire the setup and am unsure of the finish. I might revisit it someday. It is a memorable film for sure though, and I have to say I overall liked it but definitely didn't love it.

I didn't mind him practicing so hard he bleeds and sweats everywhere, but the car incident and what happens immediately after was just too much

I really liked everything up to that big moment. After that..... ehhhhh I dunno.

Simmons and Teller were great, though.

And it gives you some thoughts to ponder on.... like where the line is between pushing kids to reach their potential vs constant "good job"ing over trivial accomplishments, participation trophies, etc. Obviously Fletcher goes too far, but it seems like society has been going too far in the other direction as of late as well.

Is he even a teacher though? It doesn't seem like a classroom as much as it is a bunch of rehearsals for the school's competitive jazz band.

Amusing, since Fletcher is based on a real teacher Chazelle had isn't he?

The film basically hugely exaggerates his own experiences with the conservatory music system.

The film's portrayal of that music scene and the nature of performing/practise/talent is quite inaccurate (I mean the spirit of jazz doesn't lie in practising on your set till your fingers bleed...). But it's all done in an entertaining fashion, and the role music plays in it gives the picture a real beat with undeniable appeal. That, and you have 2 top-notch performances.

So basically if you can deal with the over-the-topness, you'll come out enjoying it very much.

It's exactly the subject that makes me wonder if it's really suited to give it an over-the-top treatment. I already had problems with teachers throwing stools at pupils. Not sure how I will react to the other stuff.

But when over-the-top is used for movies like Sin City then I'm all for it.

Alex

I think it works in this case. It's a film with real style, kind of like the Sin City equivalent to the music-based drama genre.