What Williams CDs should I add to my collection right away?

Jay

So I recently went through my CD shelf and compared my Williams collection to the list of all the films he's scored.

It turns out there are only 14 films he has scored (that have had their score put onto CD) that I do not own the CD for:

1972 The Cowboys

1973 The Paper Chase

1974 The Towering Inferno

1974 Earthquake

1974 Conrack

1975 The Eiger Sanction

1978 Jaws 2

1979 Dracula

1989 Always

1990 Stanley & Iris

1990 Presumed Innocent

1991 JFK

1996 Sleepers

1997 Amistad

Which of these titles, JWFan community, are the most important for me to add to my collection?

Sadly, the eight 1970s titles are far too expensive on the secondary market now to justify the purchase (especially when I am hopeful they will get re-issued soon).

1972 The Cowboys ~$30 on Amazon

1973 The Paper Chase / 1974 Conrack ~$68 on Amazon (for the FSM Poseidon / Paper Chase / Conrack CD)

1974 The Towering Inferno ~$400 on Amazon for the FSM release

1974 Earthquake ~$41 on Amazon

1975 The Eiger Sanction - none currently on Amazon at all!

1978 Jaws 2 ~$90 on Amazon

1979 Dracula ~$58 on Amazon

But the six 80s-90s titles I really should just buy right now, right?

1989 Always ~$1 on Amazon

1990 Stanley & Iris ~$13 on Amazon

1990 Presumed Innocent ~$13 on Amazon

1991 JFK ~$2 on Amazon

1996 Sleepers ~$1 on Amazon

1997 Amistad ~$14 on Amazon

All of them!

But of the affordable titles you list, STANLEY & IRIS is probably my personal favourite, followed by AMISTAD and SLEEPERS (90s Williams is my favourite Williams).

Of the non-affordable titles -- THE EIGER SANCTION, followed by JAWS 2.

Start with this digital download :

1974 The Towering Inferno (Reissued for digital download in 2014, Rhino)

Then:

1990 Presumed Innocent ~13 on Amazon
1991 JFK ~$2 on Amazon
1997 Amistad ~~14 on Amazon

But the six 80s-90s titles I really should just buy right now, right?

1991 JFK ~$2 on Amazon

This is clearly a yes. The ones you have affordable control over, and are still in print, buy them up. Now. They're cheap enough to just get even if you're not a completest.

Of the older scores, unfortunately the one you must absolutely have is The Towering Inferno. Since that doesn't seem to be an option at this point then you'll simply need to wait until it's inevitably re-released on CD.

With The Towering Inferno being a FOX owned score, I figured a new release would have to be in the works, since they are so easy for any label to work with. But I don't know if Rhino's reissue of the original LP put a monkey wrench in that. I hope not!

I've heard The Towering Inferno LP and FSM Expanded of course, I just don't own it on my shelf and really want to!

For Paper Chase and Conrack, who knows if we'll ever get another re-issue of those? Hard to say! They are Fox so its easy, but they are short and not very well known so it might not be worth a specialty labels time!

For Earthquake, Eiger, Jaws 2, and Dracula - COME ON VARESE!!!

Speaking of Varese, they seem to have quietly let their Cowboys CD go OOP (along with Stanley and Iris and Presumed Innocent)... COME ON VARESE!

These two are really the two most important of the lot
1972 The Cowboys
1975 The Eiger Sanction

And yes these 6 should be a priority with those prices!

1991 JFK ~$2 on Amazon
Sadly those other 70s scores of which I don't own three (Towering Inferno, Paper Chase and Conrack), are a bit on the pricey side.

I have Amistad. It has some fairly dull underscore, but the two main themes ("Dry Your Tears, Afrika" and Cinque's theme) are wonderful. Totally worth purchasing the album.

And here's hoping Varese does indeed do some sort of re-release of The Cowboys!

before you make any purchase I think you should wait for June 1 to see what is the expansion.

Well out of the six 1980s-1990s scores I don't have, MV already specifically said its not Stanley and Iris, Presumed Innocent, or JFK... so that leaves Always, Sleepers, or Amistad. All three available for cheap, and an expanded release of them might not have the OST presentation anyway!
(The 1970s ones really are too damn expensive to buy now)

And here's hoping Varese does indeed do some sort of re-release of The Cowboys!

And Stanley and Iris and Presumed Innocent!! (And Air Force One, and Starship Troopers, and, and...)

The Towering Inferno is a must-have. Maybe not worth the $400 price tag, but worth a digital download (just this once).

Hard to believe, as avid a JW and film score collector as I know you are, that you don't yet have Presumed Innocent, Amistad, or JFK. Sleepers should probably be in there, too. Stanley and Iris isn't my favorite, mostly because it's a very even, almost flat-lined score, without much in the way of variation. Always is such a vague, insubstantial bit of fluff (like the film) that I wouldn't begrudge anyone skipping over it.

I would definitely start with Presumed Innocent and JFK. I checked, and found you can't really call yourself a JW collector if you don't have those on your shelf.

As I said before: All Jay! Get all of the 90s scores! Get them while they're cheap!

Alright I bit the bullet and bought the six 1980s-1990s Williams CDs I didn't have.

Total with shipping came to ~$71 which is about $11.88 per CD. Not bad.

And now I can say my JW discography is complete outside of eight mega-expensive, long OOP 1970s scores that I hope will be expanded or at least re-issued soon. Hooray!

Alright I bit the bullet and bought the six 1980s-1990s Williams CDs I didn't have.

Well done! They're all nice. Interestingly, I used to really dislike ALWAYS (finding it the dullest of the dullest), but I've come to appreciate it in my older years.

A true JWfan would try to get all these c.d.'s

I fully expect the 1970s scores will be re-issued (and hopefully expanded!) within the next couple years. No reason to pay $40-$400 for their outdated original CDs now.

And now I can say my JW discography is complete outside of eight mega-expensive, long OOP 1970s scores that I hope will be expanded or at least re-issued soon. Hooray!

The complete discography of JW contains 134 original studio albums, you surely don't have all of them. You talk about the Soundtracks only...

Correct, I'm talking about his film scores that have been issued on CD only.

I now have all but 8 of them.

Correct, I'm talking about his film scores that have been issued on CD only.

I now have all but 8 of them.

really curious, could you list what JW films haven't you seen at least from 70s and on?

You can use this here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24061&page=1

Because I think it's more important to watch some films first, before buying soundtracks.

I have never seen:

Daddy-O

I Passed for White

Because They're Young

The Secret Ways

Stark Fear

Bachelor Flat

Diamond Head

Gidget Goes to Rome

The Killers

None But The Brave

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home

Not With My Wife You Don't!

Penelope

The Plainsman

A Guide for the Married Man

Fitzwilly

Daddy's Gone A-Hunting

The Reivers

Story of a Woman

The Cowboys

The Poseidon Adventure

Pete N Tillie

Images

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

The Paper Chase

The Long Goodbye

Cinderella Libery

Conrack

Earthquake

The Towering Inferno

The Eiger Sanction

Family Plot

The Missouri Breaks

Midway

Black Sunday

Jaws 2

Dracula

Heartbeeps

Monsignor

The River

Witches of Eastwick

Accidental Tourist

Born on the Fourth of July

Always

Stanley & Iris

Presumed Innocent

Far and Away

Sabrina

Nixon

Sleepers

Rosewood

Seven Years in Tibet

Amistad

Stepmom

Angela's Ashes

I've probably seen parts of it. Didn't really watch the Jaws movies growing up. I've probably only seen the original Jaws three, maybe four times.

I have never seen:
Daddy-O
I Passed for White
Because They're Young
The Secret Ways
Stark Fear
Bachelor Flat
Diamond Head
Gidget Goes to Rome
The Killers
None But The Brave
John Goldfarb, Please Come Home
Not With My Wife You Don't!
Penelope
The Plainsman
A Guide for the Married Man
Fitzwilly
Daddy's Gone A-Hunting
The Reivers
Story of a Woman
The Cowboys
The Poseidon Adventure
Pete N Tillie
Images
The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing
The Paper Chase
The Long Goodbye
Cinderella Libery
Conrack
Earthquake
The Towering Inferno
The Eiger Sanction
Family Plot
The Missouri Breaks
Midway
Black Sunday
Jaws 2
Dracula
Heartbeeps
Monsignor
The River
Witches of Eastwick
Accidental Tourist
Always
Stanley & Iris
Presumed Innocent
Far and Away
Sabrina
Nixon
Sleepers
Rosewood
Seven Years in Tibet
Amistad
Stepmom
Angela's Ashes

Ok, thanks.

I'll still stick to what i was saying, that i think you should watch at least 20 films of these first, before purchasing those remaining Williams cds.

Out of all those films I've never seen, I MOST want to see:

Family Plot

The Long Goodbye

The Eiger Sanction

Black Sunday

Dracula

The Witches of Eastwick

Far and Away

It's the best of the lot, and one I still love. (McQueen and Newman make the movie.)

Eh, do I really need to see 70s disaster movies?

I find them waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...................aaaaaaaaay better than today's action movies.

At least Poseidon Adventure and Towering inferno (I don't remember Earthquake)

A true JWfan would try to get all these c.d.'s

I fully expect the 1970s scores will be re-issued (and hopefully expanded!) within the next couple years. No reason to pay $40-$400 for their outdated original CDs now.

More relevant is how many of these scores have you not heard at all

I've been watching Amazon and eBay for so many years now trying to get Jaws 2 and The Towering Inferno at a good price, but to no avail... I think after the LLL title is announced, I'm gonna buy those two on vinyl so that I can at least have every score on some format. Both of those records can be had for around $10-$15 each.

Always is the worst post-1975 Williams score. Sorry... :(

I rather like the interpretation found on the Spielberg/Williams collaboration album. Moving and heartwarming in a quiet sort of way.

"Worst" is sort of an exaggeration, I think.

I just bought Always on Amazon for 95 cents, lol. I've listened to snippets before, but not the whole album. I like what I've heard so far.

Always is the worst post-1975 Williams score. Sorry... :(

I rather like the interpretation found on the Spielberg/Williams collaboration album. Moving and heartwarming in a quiet sort of way.

I agree with both of you. The score as a whole is wandering, aimless, and without much substance (which made it perfect for the movie, which was all three of those x2). But the suite, as featured on the collaboration album, pulls the best elements out of the thin air and shapes it into a beautiful symphonic work—one of my favorites of his, ironically. It's really the only way I listen to that theme any more.

The score as a whole is wandering, aimless, and without much substance (which made it perfect for the movie, which was all three of those x2).

Basically The Phantom Menace.