Kyoto Tachibana Marching Band plays "The Olympic Spirit"

Dave Jennings

The mostly all girl, Japanese marching band "Kyoto High School Tachibana" has emerged from the Covid nightmare to perform in the first, & possibly only marching competition of the year in Japan for these high schoolers playing in an eerily empty hall.  The band has chosen Mr. Williams' "The Olympic Spirit" as the centerpiece of their 2020 performance.  I think these kids "nailed" the difficult piece WHILE MARCHING.   The kids do all of their own choreography, practice &, to some extent, musical selection after school every day, including weekends & summer vacation with little adult supervision.  They are obviously John Williams fans as they end the show with their version of Mr. Williams' take on "Swing Swing Swing" from the film, 1941.  they also have the Star Wars & Jurassic Park main themes & the Cantina song in their repertoire. I found the performance inspiring.  The band left openings in their formations to honor the students who are either sick or quarantined.  The Drum Major even picks up her trombone midway to fill in for a missing member.  As I write this, the youtube video has almost 141,000 views since it was posted Nov. 6...............................................ENJOY

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic