Ran, by Takemitsu

Romão

I just bough this score, being a huge fan of the movie.

It's one of the most tragically subdued things I have ever heard. There really is a feeling of loss in this score.

Any opinions?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an amazingly textured score. The Mahler-like Agagio that accompanies one of the most exquisitely shot battle montages in this history of cinema (yes, it's that good and served as inspiration for Braveheart and Last Samurai) is one of the finest cues written in the late 20th century. Although it's interesting that while that cue is orchestrated like Mahler, it's much more like Bartok in its chromatic melodic line that weaves around a tonal centre but never quite lands on it. Brilliant!

Wow, you guys made me remember all those hours I spent on Kurosawa films. Ran is a particularly dry film(which is good I think). It also reminded me of another film of his, actually one of his last, DREAMS. I don't know if it is my favorite or not by him, but it does have a special place in my heart. For some reason, everytime I have watched this film I am so touched by the end that I can't homd back from crying. Amazing, considering how restrained the movie is, from acting, to dialogue, to camera movement itself. I remember scenes where the cameera stands still for minutes as the action occurs. Impressive!

Igor