The Big Picture: The Films of Paramount Pictures

TownerFan

Yes, it's already gone :(

This probably slipped under our radars: two weeks ago, at Hollywood Bowl, it was performed a tribute concert to the films of Paramount Pictures, conducted by David Newman (with Leonard Nimoy as guest host).

Here you can find a complete report on this concert. However, what struck my attention was that the whole opening sequence from Raiders of the Lost Ark was performed, in sync with the film. Man, I wish I was there...

The highlight of the first half of the concert was also a first: The opening 10 minutes of John Williams' score for Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), synchronized precisely to the film. It turned out that this was not easy to accomplish, as many music edits had been made between the original recording date and the final version of the film.

Newman combed through the original score to track down the changes and then ordered all new musicians' parts to be created. Even Williams, who has done a number of live-to-picture concerts in recent years, has never done this sequence from Raiders. Newman and company performed superbly, and the crowd clearly loved it.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds amazing. It's nice that they would go to such trouble for something that is not exactly regular concert fair. Has JW ever played the opening of Raiders in concert, without the film?

Maybe this is why JW preformed so early this year.

Anyone know if you can see JW's rehearsals for the Hollywood Bowl? If so, can you say hi to him and get autographs and pics?