Special Olympics Music

bandguy115

Can any help me: I am trying to locate the music to John Williams’ composition of “We’re Looking Good”, a song he composed for the Special Olympics. I have a mentally handicapped daughter and I am also a music conductor myself. I have tried to find if it was published but have not had any luck. If it were published, what company would have it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish JW had recorded this song. I had a copy of a Boston Pops performance but I assume there must be a version with lyrics that I've never heard. I still like to play a dumbed down version on piano - its a very catchy tune. That's of course no help at all but I share an interest in having this piece become more available, whatever the format.

- Adam

To my knowledge only a piano arrangement was ever published.

Williams conducted it a few times back in 1987, when he composed it, always with the Pops, I believe. The premiere was performed with lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman, that were sung be the athlets. The only orchestral version was recorded for a 4th of July show with the late Johnny Cash, in that same year, again with Williams conducting the Pops.

There is a band medley, called Evening at Pops, that includes a bit of We're Lookin' Good. Maybe you can find the garbage music for that one... I have a slight idea of seeing it before...

I spent some time looking for the lyrics and even that's not available unless I've been looking in the wrong places. I'm not so sure there's an official piano version either. I didn't see anything listed. I just play on the piano what I remember by ear but I don't remember the entire orchestral piece.

- Adam

I'm at work, so I can't be sure, but I believe that a piano reduction was included on an anthology of Williams famous themes.

I'm pretty sure the band medley "Evening at Pops" is available as printed score.

And yes, I've been searching for the lyrics for ages, and never found them too.

Thanks for the help. I did find "John Williams Evening at the Pops" (arranged by John Higgins published by Alfred Publishing), but it is listed as "out of print". Plus I think it is a shame that there is not a full arrangement of the song for band. I know that I could use it every year that we play for the opening of our local Special Olympics.

Thanks for the help. I did find "John Williams Evening at the Pops" (arranged by John Higgins published by Alfred Publishing), but it is listed as "out of print". Plus I think it is a shame that there is not a full arrangement of the song for band. I know that I could use it every year that we play for the opening of our local Special Olympics.

That would be wonderful. I'm a fine arts teacher, but half of my teaching duties is to work with special needs children. So to some extent I can relate to you, and I find that through music, and art in general terms, that's the most wonderful vehicle to get to this children.