SCORE: BACK TO THE FUTURE PT.II - Alan Silvestri

Faleel

Back To The Future II - Alan Silvestri

Pt. II definitely mixed more dry than the Pt. I

I enjoy this score almost as much as the first, though it lacks nostalgia, it makes up for it with an upped epic factor (The "insert" in the Main Titles and The Skateboard Chase are a few examples) though it drags a bit more than Pt. I especially in the middle portion, and curiously lacks even a small amount of electronics compared to the first score (in Pt. I it was mostly Electric Piano)

I will now "review" the individual tracks, blue text is OST red text is complete

#1 Prologue: I like the alternate orchestration of the 4 x 4 portion, and the extended percussion ending

#2 Main Titles and Flying Traffic: I like the insert in the Main Theme, and while the portion of the "Doc Theme" is not very interesting, its a nice reintroduction to the Main Theme

#3 The Future: I like the millitaristic percussion (snare?) but there is not very much going on in this track, so more often than not I skip it

#4 Griff: I like how this segues into Beat It in the film, its a nice Intro into.....

#5 Hoverboard Chase: opens like Skateboard Chase from Part 1, but goes in a different direction, i like how it pauses when Marty Hovers over the water

#6 A Flying Delorean?: I like the variation of the main theme that plays over the percussion, its almost a very small fanfare

#7 Marlene Mcfly: Very....interesting?

#8 Hilldale: I dont really remember anything about this track, just alot of the mystery/danger motif

#9 Needles Deal: sort of cool , it doesn't add much though

#10 Leaving 2015: I like how the twinkle motif is played over the frantic strings

#11 Hell Valley: Atmospheric opening with the mystery/danger motif, I like the motif for Alternate 1985 it captures the horror of it all quite perfectly

#12 Marty Wakes Up: Basically the same as its Part 1 counterpart, just lamer

#13 My Father!: Again I like the motif for Alternate 1985, I like the "Fate Motif" (its also quite nice how its used later in the film)

#14 Alternate 1985: I like the dark ending, which underscores Marty deciding to talk to Biff about the Almanac

#15 Gray's Sports Almanac: A short, dark semi-fanfare, cool

#16 If They Ever Did and Something Inconspicuous: I like the version of the main theme here, though it sounds almost campy/silly with the dry mixing

#17 Biff's Garage: I like the Whining strings in the opening.

#18 The Weather Experiment: Twinkly....I think

#19 Pair O' Docs: I like how it brings to mind the emotions of the first film, a nice break from the darkness

#20 The Book: I like the playful string version of the main theme, and the section when George punches Biff (for the same reasons I liked PO'D)

#21 Marty's Temper: Very much like Track 4, makes a nice intro to.....

#22 Tunnel Chase: I like the opening and the versions of the main theme, the section at 4:43 gets on my nerves abit

#23 Burn The Book: Basically the beginning of the Clock Tower, I like the percussion, it perfectly captures the emotion of the scene, wish it was an original composition though

#24 Doc's Gone: The same as the "Fate Motif" from Track 13, only this time with (more?) strings

#25 Western Union: Has a nice statement of the 4 x 4 motif and the main theme, I like the buildup to the main theme (though if the John Debney version were in the correct tempo I would prefer it to this rendition)

#26 I'm Back and To Be Concluded: Nice mix of Helicopter and Doc Returns, nice sequel hook in the film and the score's ending

#27 Back to the Future III Trailer Music: I like the mandolin (?) and the ending I actually kind of enjoy it more than the BTTF main theme, wish it was used more in Part. III

#28 End Credits: A suite of the Main Title (with few deviations), Burn The Book, and Tunnel Chase, and the End Titles from Pt. I

#29 Hoverboard Chase (Alternate): Love the alternate piano, it seems whenever Silvestri tries to pass the skate/hoverboard music without the opening hit, Zemeckis makes him rewrite it

#30 To Be Concluded (Alternate): Almost sounds slowed down, interesting creepy ending

#31 To Be Concluded (Alternate II): Sounds the same just without the buildup

#32 Back to the Future III Trailer Music (Alternate): I like the ending, played a bit too slow for my liking

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hopefully you readers enjoyed this, I know I am not Incanus however ha ha ha.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic