Analysis - The Adventures of Robin Hood

Ludwig

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality analysis as usual, though I would prefer something that's been less extensively analysed by academics already. Nothing against the score - it's one of the pinnacles of Golden Age craftsmanship, but it's received so much attention over the years. Like this book, just off the top of my head:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Erich-Wolfgang-Korngolds-Adventures-Robin/dp/0810858886

I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from - I like sticking up for the musical underdogs.

Quality analysis as usual, though I would prefer something that's been less extensively analysed by academics already. Nothing against the score - it's one of the pinnacles of Golden Age craftsmanship, but it's received so much attention over the years. Like this book, just off the top of my head:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Erich-Wolfgang-Korngolds-Adventures-Robin/dp/0810858886

I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from - I like sticking up for the musical underdogs.

Yes, I do understand, as I know you've always had a penchant for more obscure scores in addition to mainstream ones.

I suppose I feel that even an extensive analysis of a score like the Winters book you mention opens the door to discussion rather than closing it. Actually, that book is a good example because his focus is on labelling themes, finding motivic connections between them, and interpreting away. But he mentions almost nothing of harmony, which is of course crucial to any musical analysis. He also says some questionable things like Prince John's theme becomes transformed into the fanfare for the archery tournament. That connection is far from a "slam dunk" if you ask me. So I always like to build on or respond to what's already out there. Doing something not analyzed is also a great tactic, but again for me that would be a starting point rather than an end point.

But still, your point is well taken that it's not like we've never heard anyone talk about this score before. Anything specific you'd like to see done?

Great analysis! I have yet to give this score a proper listen (I did see the film recently and listen to a few tracks here and there), but this analysis will be of great help when I finally do.

Cheers. :mrgreen:

Anything specific you'd like to see done?

Hmm... Maybe something like Alex North's Spartacus, Micklos Rosza's El Cid (IMO, the finest of his period epic scores), John Barry's The Lion in Winter, Franz Waxman's Sunset Boulevard, Don Davis's Matrix Trilogy (or just the first film), or Bernard Herrmann's Obsession. All of these are thematically rich scores in their own ways (some are more leitmotivic than others) are fairly accessible, and have either been totally ignored or not written in a rigorous enough fashion.

Anything specific you'd like to see done?

Hmm... Maybe something like Alex North's Spartacus, Micklos Rosza's El Cid (IMO, the finest of his period epic scores), John Barry's The Lion in Winter, Franz Waxman's Sunset Boulevard, Don Davis's Matrix Trilogy (or just the first film), or Bernard Herrmann's Obsession. All of these are thematically rich scores in their own ways (some are more leitmotivic than others) are fairly accessible, and have either been totally ignored or not written in a rigorous enough fashion.

All have been added to my list of "to dos". I must admit, I don't know a lot of North's music, but if I was to start with any of these from your list, I think it would have to be Spartacus.