Seaquest DSV and E.T. Flying Theme

Pelzter

I was just listening to Debney's fabulous theme to Seaquest DSV, and I suddenly realised, that it sounds just like a simplified version of the flying theme from E.T... Has anyone else noticed this?

--Pelzter.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard the theme in a while, but I remember it being good. On a related note, I used to really enjoy that show when it was airing a few years back. It's more if a distant memory, but a good one. I hope they release a season or two on dvd.

Ted

The basic melody of the theme is like Rosza's King of Kings.

Justin -Who likes the theme but knows it's not very original. :)

I haven't heard King of Kings but The Mummy Returns (or atleast the title track) is excellent and easily meets the swashbuckling standards of Debney, Williams and Arnold, IMO.

--Pelzter, who loves swashbuckling themes, and even more when combined with a sweeping secondary theme.

Listen to the Main Title from Star Wars, and then listen to Seaquest DSV.

If you don't hear anything in similar than you have to listen to it again :D

Nemesis :music:

I would give just about anything at this point for SeaQuest DSV (if only just the first season) to come out on DVD.

And yes, the opening uplifiting interval of SeaQuest's main theme is so similar and integral to both ET's Flying Theme as well as Star Wars' Main Title, that to the average listener, which I once was not so long ago, it could be easily confused for a Williams melody. And since Spielberg was the EP, it's not that far fetched of an idea, though Williams never did anything where Spielberg produced and didn't direct, e.g. MIB, BTTF, Roger Rabbit, etc.