2 for 1: A Raiders analyses + a story from my day! YAY!

Morlock

DISCLAIMER:

This thread might turn you into a diabetic with all of it's positive words.

This thread was created just for fun, not for any serious review purposes. This could be called 'What Morlock thinks of Raiders'.

This thread is totaly redundant for anyone other than me, you'll find nothing new here.

The CD tracks and times are from the 1995 CD.

THE WORD 'CLASSIC' WILL APPEAR A RIDICULES AMOUNT OF TIMES!

As often with me- a lengthy story is present , to preceed the actual analyses.

And as always with me- the main Smiley used will be :mrgreen: (And it will still be used sparsely)

I just started a new job, and in honor of that, I emptied my CD case that I carry around and refilled it with a carefully chosen new selection. Of course one of the Indy's needed to be there, and I was in a Raiders mood.

So a couple of nights ago I put it on as I went to work. I didn't get too far, as I was running late, so I took a cab, which only took about 10 minutes or so.

Flash forward 8 hours, to 23:00.....

I'm walking out of work, going into the city to return a movie. The music is working perfectly. During the summer there is a fair and tons of stands and peoples down town on the main strip (it's small by your standards, I'm sure, but it's all we got ;)). And just as I turn into the main street from one of the side streets....The Basket game begins! so, II kind of edited and cut with my eyes, so it fit the feel of the track, jumping from stand to stand. It even corresponded with the sword guy's motif- I just at that instant came upon a Chinese chef raising a huge knife to prepare a course.

Then, I'm walking down a couple of more streets, and the Map Room really fits the whole feel, and as the music climaxes- I saw the video store (I had to run a bit for it to really fit the track, but I was feeling giddy by that point, I just had to have the music score the next hour of my life :mregreen:), the rest of the track served very well, as I'm making the final steps to the store itself.

The next coupel of tracks go by fine, whatever...then, a few seconds after I re-enter the main street- Airplane Fight Begins, also fitting perfectly. I kind of slowed down as I was walking to my bus stop, listening to desert Chase. I was a bit tired, and I was just cutting around with my eyes, following cars around with them, to correspond with the music. I'm getting a bit more grounded after being transported for a few minutes. Then, as I near the corner I need to turn to get to my bus stop, I see the bus coming from the opposite direction. I know I need to start running- but just then Marion's Theme Start. I'm thinking "It's all messed up. I should be running to the chase music!", but then- the magic works yet again. I all of a sudden feel kind of lifted, no other sound in the world, just me running to my bus stop before my bus getting there. The exact image you should have is Woody Allen in Manhatten, when he realizes Muriel Hemmingway is the girl for him, running to the Gershwin tune. I made it in time, and I had this goofy smile the rest of the night, I was in a state of pure bliss.

01. Raiders March- Although I also must admit I do sometimes suffer from over exposure to this, when I'm in an Indy mood, of course nothing could top it.

(I never thought I'd ever have a reason to state the perfectly obivous things about this theme, but, in keeping with how redundant the rest of the post is surely gonna be... :wave:)

The way this theme captures all the elements of Indy is astounding. THE greatest charater theme ever.

02. Classic jungle trek track. I personaly don't listen to it much, but I love the feel.

03. Love the first of the plucking at 36 seconds, one of the classic Indy sounds.

I generaly 'tune in' at 1:33.

One of the all time greatest build ups from 2:45, amazing. And when it gets closer, I love the way the music sounds like it's trying to get ahead, to reach the climax. Like it's trying to run ahead.

3:53- great. Classic, great brass at 4:00. And of course that fantastic motif for the bolder at 5:02.

The music in track 03 contains so much classic music, it is so much engrained in the image fo the scene. You can't think of the scene or spoof it without the music popping in there. One of the all time great film sequences, One classic moment after another. That idol is such a strong image of my chldhood. THAT transports me.

04. Again, the plucking. That motif at 0:25 and the one at 0:33 are also so much a part of my image for the film. I love how the theme is at first our hero's nick of time escape from the bad guys, then changes to the comical aspects of his phobia. And I love that segway at 2:04. A fantastic way to bring us down to the university, and really down to earth, after that adrenaline rush.

05. Love that motif at 0:48. Another trademark. (I'm never sure what it's official name is).

06. Great theme, I love how it's kind of an offshoot of the Ark theme. And that classic, hillarious entrance at 0:44 of the Nazis.

2:22- Love how the strings come in and build. Come to think of it, so many of the fantastic moments in this score are build ups of one kind or another.

07. I like the feel of this, like so many of the tracks, it tells the spirit of the movie immidiately. Like picking up from a cliffhanger- we get the Madellion theme from the last scene, then the great 'traveling' rendition of the raiders theme, then Marions's theme to remind us of the girl, then the very appropriate, stereotypical Arab sound when we get to Egypt.

08. Such a great, fun track, also epitomizes the Indy spirit. That exhilirating breath of fresh air, of fun. Love the melding of the classic comic sounds, together with the threatening sounds, together with the carnivalistic feel, together with the occaisional Arab flavoring. And doesn't matter how many times I hear it, I still smile whenever I hear the sword guy's motif at 2:20. I love how powerful the performance is. The switch to Marion's Theme is also so great, really gets the feel and the massage through, yet all in the attitude. It sounds like one of the great love songs.

09. Perfection in every way. I actually never realised till now that it uses the same motif as in the build up in the Idol scene. I think just both pieces of music are so engrained in me, that I never thought beyond them, just them, as a whole (not sure if this makes sense). Such an amazing theme, used so powerfully and in such a satisfying matter. I love how it starts off with the theme, as we've heard it before, then goes for the brass and drums as a slight let off, draw us back in with the anticipation or discovery motif from the Idol scene, then start the Ark theme again, this time in a bigger, fuller sound, that feels like it's pulling you in, then it gives you the brass and perdcussion again,then goes back for more, with a slight intro, and then back into this bigger, beautiful version of The Ark theme. And those classic slightely strained horns as the music reaches the climax (as used in the James Bond moves), then the let off at 3:11- and this is what really elevates the tack from a really great track to perfection for me- the perfect winding down and let off.

Stefan's orgasm may be in Forth Eorlingas, mine is here. :mrgreen:

10. I must admit I don't listen to this one too often, and listening to it now in the quiet of my home, I kinda wonder why that is. I find it really amazing how many great motifs and leitmotifs there are in this score on top of the 3-4 easily distinguishable theme. And the section of 3:29 to the end is great.

11. I am not a fan of this track. Nothing really else to say, except that I love the feel of the high strings in all these quasi-horror moments.

12. I don't listen to this too much, I think it kinda pales in comparison to the following track, and the brass motif throughout the scene sounds a bit too Star war for me. Personaly, I'm not a big fan of the whole Well of Souls/ Airplane Fight sequence in the movie.

Of course I love the classic motif at 2:06, which gets more attention in the Desert Chase.

13. Also perfect, one of the best action tracks ever, and the best chase music I could think of. I love it all.

14. One of the great themes ever, and IMO one of the top 10 love themes ever (probably in my own personal top 3), such a classic theme. To me brings to memory As Time Goes By, Just better.

15. I don't really know this track, not one of my favorites.

16. Love the march version of the theme (well, it's more than just love, but I ran out of words :mrgreen:).

17. I don't enjoy the spirit part, but it's great for more varied versions of the Ark theme. It's amazing how the track gives you the power fo the ark.

18. A classic ending to a classic movie.

19. I almost always stop the CD by now. It's a bit redundant.

What a marvelous, perfect score. And what's more- there are two more that are (IMO) either almost or just as good as this!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What a marvelous, perfect score. And what's more- there are two more that are (IMO) either almost or just as good as this!

You know, for a score you seem to like so much, there is an awful lot that you don't listen to much.

Neil

Well, that's the way it is with me. There are almost no scores I love wholesale (though the three Indy scores would certainly near the top of the CDs I would listen to front to back). Those tracks are great too, I just don't think they're quite as good as all those tracks I'm ecstatic about. :mrgreen:

But that's the way it is for me with all score. I could certainly listen to them front to back and enjoy them, but picking out my highlights, The above is what you get. Same goes with the other two Raiders score first 4 Star Wars scores, Home Alone, All 3 Harry Potter scores, Hook, Amistad, Angela's Ashes and probably a few more.