The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex recommendations?

Morlock

I've recently been in a Korngold mood, listening to the Warner Brothers Years CD. I know the sound quality sucks, but the performances are too glorious not to be listened to. Unfortunately, I've never listened to much Korngold in the past, and have no other CDs of his, only suites and compilation stuff.

Still, one of my favorite Korngold scores has always been The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, of which I've only got a few minutes worth between the Warner set and a suite I found. I wanted to know if there's a really good quality lengthy recording of the score. I know Varese's got one, but I've heard mixed stuff about it. Any recommendations would be helpful.

And I guess, while we're at it- I'd love general Korngold recommendations. My favorites (of what I've heard), are the obvious bunch: Elizabeth and Essex, Robin Hood, Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk. Any help regarding the best releases of these and other great Korngold scores would be greatly appreciated.

Morlock- who was thrown into a 30's mood by listening to the Alwyn Bride of Frankenstein CD, and now is also looking for more Waxman stuff

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Get all the Gerhardt compilations. Also get the Morgan/Stromberg Adventures of Robin Hood and if you want also the Kojian recording (not complete unlike the M/S, but still very good). Get the Captain Blood OST on Tsunami (bad sound but perfectly listenable) plus the Marco Polo compilation with the Captain Blood suite (which is fantastic plus you get Young's awesome Scarmouche as a bonus). Don't forget Kojian's Sea Hawk recording. Tsunami also released the OSTs of Robin Hood and Sea Hawk if you want those.

When you're done with that and the complete Sea Hawk isn't out yet, ask for further directions. ;)

Marian - who is getting Waxman's Prince Valiant and wants Sunset Blvd..

;) Cutthroat Island (John Debney)