Morricone's Richard III

Figo

I just got back from the video store a while ago and while perusing the Shakespeare movies, I came across a familiar sight -- Richard III. I've seen Richard many times and have always adored William Walton's marvelous score. (Is there a more inspirational telling of a tragedy? I don't think so.) But, wait a minute -- that picture on the spine. Why is Olivier all out of focus? I take the box down from the shelf.

Upon closer inspection, I find it is a version of Richard from 1912, which is purportedly the first American feature film! It was recently rediscovered (at the time of the video release) and given a restoration by the American Film Institute. What's more, it has been given a new score -- the film is silent -- by Ennio Morricone! Imagine that.

It was so bizarre, I had to rent it. It's only an hour long, and it's two-for-one night, so what the hell. I just can't imagine Shakespeare without the words. I would think it would be like that scene in Amadeus, with the ballet dancers jumping around without music. Crazy.

Well, let's see how Morricone does. Too bad Williams hasn't written any Shakespeare scores. He's such a master at writing fanfares -- and he's so obviously indebted to Walton -- I would think he would be a natural.

Figo, who can't wait for Spielberg's King Lear. LOL

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad Williams hasn't written any Shakespeare scores.  He's such a master at writing fanfares -- and he's so obviously indebted to Walton -- I would think he would be a natural.

I've been listening to Walton's Richard III and Henry V lately and would really like to see Williams score a Shakespeare movie as well. I think he would be great with something like Macbeth for all the Scottish pageantry or The Tempest.

Mari - who named her cats Prospero and Miranda after characters in The Tempest

Yeah! He's already done a couple of Irish scores, how about a chance for the Scots! (He'll have to hurry, before Horner beats him to the punch. LOL )

Actually, I think a Williams Tempest would be marvelous. But first we need a marvelous Tempest film, and it doesn't look as if that's bound to happen. :? (I'm still recovering from Prospero's Books. :sigh: )

I hope we don't get one of those blasphemous modern day versions, with Ethan Hawke as Ariel and Wesley Snipes as Caliban. :wow:

I nominate Sean Connery for Prospero!