Proposal for JWFAN Net Music Awards

deimos

I know some of you might be a little fed up with polls, picking best scores, etc, but robthehand's series about picking the best 21st century Williams score and the Oscar nominations made me think it would be a good idea having our own awards.

I've been thinking about the process and making it public makes it a bit less exciting, and you can be influenced by other's picks. So what about a procedure similar to the Oscar's?.

For let's say, two weeks, we could send what we think should be the nominees for every category. So for every category we can send up to 3 (or the number we agree) of candidates for every category.

After that period, the nominees are made public and we can vote for another two weeks. In this case we vote only one, and then we would get the results.

As I said, making it privately would be funnier, so i wouldn't mind receiving PM or mails to count the votes secretly (though help would be appreciated).

I've also thought about possible categories and, taking into acount this is a JW forum, they could be like this:

Honorary Composer of the year for life : John Williams

Best Composer of the year other than John Williams

Best Score of the Year by John Williams

Best Score of the Year by other than John Williams

Best Comedy Score of the year

Best Dramatic of the year

Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Score of the year

Best Theme of the Year by John Williams

Best Theme of the Year by other than JW

Best cue

Best action cue

Best comedy cue

Best dramatic cue

Best main titles/end credits/montague

So, if you think it's a good idea, just say so, and we could agree on dates of voting.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I've been posting the JWFan.net music Awards for the last 2 years running. Any suggestions would be gladly considered. I've decided to post the categories on March 2nd. This is right after the Academy awards and gives a month for everyone to start thinking about what they will nominate. If you think it's to late just consider that many people on the board still haven't heard Munich etc. Since these scores came out so late in the year I believe it's prudent to wait the extra month to avoid any voting for a score because it's "new". I've changed the categories slightly from last year but here are the previous awards.

If you don't like public voting. Then all votes could be PM'd to me. I'd tally all the votes and post the results.

Justin

P.S. Perhaps we could get a posting on the front page if enough people vote? Not a bad incentive. :thumbup:

Sorry Justin if I just invented what you had already invented years before :oops:

I'll be glad to help you with this then. As I said on my post, I like the idea of two different phases and secret voting. That way you have nominees and winners, and also the "surprise" of the nominees / winners (if we vote on the MB you can guess who's gonna win easier).

I agree about delaying it till everybody has the chance to hear all last year's scores

I'd like to suggest the categories I posted before. I'd like having non-JW cues and albums so that it doesn't all revolve around the four Williams scores.

So like I said, if you want my help counting the votes or whatever, I'll be glad to.

Sorry if my response was a bit.....gruff. Anyway, here are my idea's for the categories:

Best Original Score of 2005:

Best Album Release of 2005:

(Best cover design, track order, package design, how much music from the film is released etc…)

Best Cue of 2005:

(The majority of the cue must be heard within the context of the film it was written for.)

Best Action Cue of 2005:

(Must be of an Action oriented nature.)

Best Dramatic Cue of 2005:

(Must be of a dark or dramatic nature.)

Best Theme of 2005:

(Does not have to be a track title. I.E. The Munich Theme, Grievous’s Theme, Avner’s Theme etc…)

Best Performance Of Above Theme of 2005:

(Must be a track title with the above theme performed in the track.)

Best Non-JW Film Score of 2005:

Best Non-JW Film Score Track of 2005:

(Any track from any Non-JW film score composed in 2005.)

Best Non-JW Film Composer of 2005:

(Any of the following are categories which this can be judged by: who wrote the most scores, who was discovered this year, who had a major breakthrough of style, who’s scores were most public praised, who’s scores were most critically praised etc…)

Any suggestions?

Justin

Sorry if my response was a bit.....gruff.

Sorry if my proposal was a bit... unoriginal :thumbup: The response was not gruff at all.

I'd open the dramatic / action to other composers

I'd add a comedy score / cue (if other composers can get in, since we didn't get a lot of this from Williams this year).

And a fantasy /sci-fi wouldn't be a bad category (again, if it's open to any composer, though we'd have 2 from Williams two choose, there are too few).

I know maybe there would be too many categories, but I think including other composers is a way to discover other works apart from Williams'. And by keeping only Williams categories we can still get our impressions on Williams' works.

How about me and Deimos split it and one of us take the JW awards and one do other composers. That way both awards can be complete and neither of us are too busy. (You know with "School" and the like. :) )

I think more categories for NON-JW is a good idea. As I've been taking care of JW for the last few years how about Deimos can do Other Composers (whatever you wan't to call it. :P )

I think JW only really needs the following this year.

Best Original Score of 2005:

Best Album Release of 2005:

Best Cue of 2005:

Best Action Cue of 2005:

Best Dramatic Cue of 2005:

Best Theme of 2005:

Best Performance Of Above Theme of 2005:

Justin - Who already has a pretty clear idea of his favorite (Non-JW) score this year.

I think that's a good idea. In fact I had thought that would be a good way of having a few more categories without the one in charge of counting the votes going mad.

I like your categories Justin, appropiate for a 4 score year with no comedy and a lot of drama/action

About the non-JW awards (I have to think of a better name :P ): since there are a few composers and scores out there, I think these categories would be ok:

Best composer

Best score

Best theme

Best cue

Best action cue

Best dramatic cue

Best comedy cue

Best main titles / end credits / montague

Best dramatic score

Best comedy score

Best fantasy / sci-fi score

As Justin stated this would be not-by-JW works. This might seem a little too many categories, specially in a year like 2005, but I thought that we could include 'none' as a posible candidate for nominee. That way we could also see in what terms the year was bad (instead of giving an award to something that doesn't deserve it just because you have to give a price :roll: )

So, what do you think about these categories? Which would you remove / add?

Fantasy and Sci-Fi seem to define the film more than the score. Other than that I think it looks good.

I like the idea of having people PM their nominee's then I tally the results and announce them all. Although polls could work too.

Justin

I'd rather do awards that include scores from every year.  The words ad and nauseam come to mind when I think of doing it just for the past year--regardless of what we got.

Are you refering to a Best Score Of All Time Awards?

Then again why limit ourselves to scores? Or music? How about the Best Anything and Everything of All Time Awards? The winner would obviously be Blueberry syrup.

Justin - Being overly cynical.....to the point of ad nauseam. :P