SCORE: The Terminal (John Williams, 2004)

crocodile

(I might just as well try to write something a bit longer. Why not? It's a bit clunky, I know... But, ah well. ;))

This one of those films Steven Spielberg must have done purely out of boredom in between his more lucrative projects. There is very little going for it. The story itself lacks any credibility, for the conflict between the Tom Hanks character and the Stanley Tucci’s character doesn’t make much sense, if you actually think about it. In fact it seems to be there solely to justify the 2-hour running time. The romance subplot between Victor and Catherine Zeta-Jones’ Amelia adds very little. Indeed the film feels like a most sleepwalking effort, from all cast and crew. Same can be said of John Williams’ score, at least on first glance.

The main clarinet-led theme recalls more European approach, sounding like a cross between Jewish and Russian music with a bit of Nino Rota’s touch in it (more in feel than in writing). But in the end, it is neither one of them. Which is fitting for Victor’s country is entirely fictional so it feels only natural the music seems familiar to Eastern European (and Central European) ears and yet you can’t quite put a finger on what it is exactly. It is very skillfully performed by late Emily Bernstein, with cimbalon and accordion (Guy Klucevsek) performances adding even more color to the orchestrations. The opening track, The Tale of Victor Navorsky, presents the theme in its typical concert arrangements (it ends the album as well).

A more traditionally romantic melody, which illustrates both a love story and a more sentimental side of Victor’s quest, recalls the films and music of old. Jazz Autographs track develops the theme in a great old-fashioned jazz arrangement. It is a relatively short thematic idea (reflecting probably a pretty much non-existing romance onscreen), but charming nonetheless.

The last distinctive thematic idea is the French sounding piece (thanks to the accordion, of course) underscoring the romantic dinner with Amelia. It seems to be at least inspired by, surprisingly, Hans Zimmer’s score to As Good As It Gets.

There is much lighthearted underscore recalling Williams’ typical comedy scoring from the 90’s (Sabrina) and his more recent Catch Me If You Can. What separates it from those scores, however, is that The Terminal is much sustained in its comedic passages. One of these tracks, The Wedding Of Officer Torres ends with a typically Williams-esque saccharine arrangement of Richard Wagner’s Bridal Chorus. Another major highlight is the amusing Krakozhia National Anthem, which resembles a bit a bombastic Russian national anthem, but the brassy arrangement sounds rather Western to my ears.

The album sound quality is very good, which is largely a deviation from more recent recordings of maestro’s film scores. It is arranged in a very typical fashion where many cues presented out of film order and others joined together. It isn’t great achievement nor an essential purchase, but still very enjoyable and a tad underrated by most film music fans. Which probably has to do more with the lacking film than anything else.

Karol

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review. As far as I'm concerned, the love theme is one of Williams' greatest. "Jazz Autographs" remains one of the best cues of the decade. Only big complaint is that extended clarinet cadenza near the end of "Tale of Viktor Navorski." This part always looses me, although it's great playing.

late Emily Bernstein

Aw, I didn't know that :/

Nice review, though, I think I like this score a bit more than you, actually. I also really like the film too, which is somewhat rare, apparently. But anyway, I love JW's comedy stuff, he really does have a great musical sense of humor and I don't think he gets enough credit for his scores in this genre, although I'm sure most of that has to do with the fact that the films haven't been particularly successful.

My point is: while it might not be an instant classic this is one of the most enjoyable albums in his repertoire from the 00's. I don't see how anyone would call it a "dust collector". it has a heart.

Karol

Nice review. I have been listening a lot to the Terminal lately. As said above, the love theme really stands out. Apart from

that I really like the nostalgic music (the homesickness cue?) after the national anthem of Krakozhia and a that small, but very sweet

cue just before the bridal march in the wedding of officer Torres track (around 3:50). And the fountain scene is some great relaxing music!