New Raiders music?

The Dark Trilogy

Not sure, if it was discussed before. I found a concert from Tanglewood in 2008 on youtube by accident. I've noticed there is new music for Raiders of the Lost Ark on 4:20 where Belloq talks with Indy. Also, there is a new ending on 7:08 but I guess this is only for this show.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AFYeJmvRU0

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure this was discussed at the time, but yeah, it's nothing memorable. The question I pose is did Williams originally compose this for Raiders or was it for the concert?

I'm pretty sure this was discussed at the time, but yeah, it's nothing memorable. The question I pose is did Williams originally compose this for Raiders or was it for the concert?

This is exactly my question, too! But I think it was composed for the concert to overlap the scenes with music.

I don't recall any absolutely conclusive answer to this, but I suspect this was written for the concert simply because there's no evidence it was written for the film itself. It's not in the leaked sheet music and no recordings of it have sufficed, and Williams ostensibly wrote that new ending to "Flight From Peru" for the concert, too. Anyway, it's a pretty unremarkable little cue, but it does mesh well with the sound of the rest of the score. There certainly aren't any red flags that scream, "WILLIAMS WROTE THIS 20 YEARS LATER!"

And that aforementioned new ending is really quite delightful. And it would be even more delightful as part of the original recordings, I'm sure, since their performance and mixing is superior to that of the live version. I do prefer the version heard in the film, with its impeccably academic-sounding chimes and piano, but the version heard in this video is quite a bit of fun for different reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a really great find, and observation. The music at 4:20 really seems like it could have been scored originally, but later removed. The last bit seems like it was added later, just added to close out the piece in a more concert fashion. I've seen some recording of this Tanglewood in 2008, I would love it if they would do something like that again! Great find!