#1 fawkes

fawkes

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this isn't worth a thread of its own. I was just curious about something I heard in "Passage Through the Planet Core" from the Star Wars Episode I OST. Around 4:00, there is a piccolo solo, and it goes up to some incredibly high note that sounds like a D to me. I was confused because - as far as I knew - the piccolo's range caps out at a high C.

Does anyone happen to have the orchestral score and know if this is actually notated as a D? Or was the pitch bumped up on the recording? Thanks!

#2 Gareth Thomas

Gareth Thomas

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Nobody's ever seen the sheet music beyond parts of 6M5 Droid Battle and 6M7 Great Duel.

#3 Henry Buck

Henry Buck

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9270 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

It's possible to play a D on piccolo.

#4 Scarpia

Scarpia

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

It sounds more like C# to me. Anyways, some musicians are able to play the high D as the top note.

#5 fawkes

fawkes

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

A genuine D8?! I've never seen anything above a C8 ever written, even by Shostakovich, who LOVED to test the upper limits of the piccolo range. That said, it still could be possible to play a D8. Are you a piccolo player?

EDIT: Scarpia, you're right - it could be a C#. I have some form of perfect pitch, but it gets really hard to tell when we get up into the stratosphere, frequency-wise. Either way, I'm just blown away, because even if C#8 and D8 are possible, I've never heard of them actually being asked for. If that's the case, John Williams = total badass.

#6 Scarpia

Scarpia

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

He is!

#7 Wojo

Wojo

If God was a villain, he would have been a Lannister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19818 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Are you a piccolo player?

I am, but my top note was normally the second A above the staff because of something wrong with the instrument that has not been fixable, nor have I felt like upgrading. It's hard to justify when you're an amateur not playing for money, with a "real job" during the week. I played a loaner horn and was able to comfortably produce Bb for Stars and Stripes in college, but it took me 12 years to learn the alternate fingering for Chimes of Liberty -- which is better than dropping it an octave or overblowing high A and hoping nobody notices. High C, though, that's something I've never seen in my music nor dreamed about. High D?? Unfathomable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users