Classic Fm (UK) listeners' Top 30 Film Scores

Miz

That minimum understanding ALWAYS goes through the filter of subjectivity, and as a result of that, professional reviewers give different ratings to the same film

That is so for many things factual anyway.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That minimum understanding ALWAYS goes through the filter of subjectivity, and as a result of that, professional reviewers give different ratings to the same film

That is so for many things factual anyway.

So?

So? It doesn't mean that movies can't be objective, it just means that people don't know how to judge them.

So? It doesn't mean that movies can't be objective, it just means that people don't know how to judge them.

Then perhaps MACHINES should judge the movies.

Ricard - Now convinced that Morn has a SERIOUS PROBLEM in his brain.

That would be pointless. Although I think that the only subjective judgements have worth, I do think that it's possible to objectively judge films. Objective judgements totally miss the point.

Lord of the Rings?

best score of all time?!?!?!

eek2 that's just wrong! it was a good score and all, but that's ridiculous.

tpigeon, who thinks that it shouldn't have even been considered, though still thinks the score is good.

oh no! not the "objective/subjective" controversy again!

this is getting old. :thumbup:

tpigeon- who doesn't think much can be viewed "objectively," when just about everything we experience is subjective.

Which is why we create "objective" standards by which we subjectively judge, if we are to judge responsibly. We can love trash, but it is unreasonable to try and foist trash off as "great" (unless it be great trash). We may enjoy a trashy movie more than a great work of art, but if we hold both up to an objective standard, we can understand why one is derided as trashy and the other is considered art. You can philosophically wrangle about this for all eternity, and there will always be stubborn dissenters, but if it weren't true then we wouldn't hold Citizen Kane in greater esteem than Plan 9 from Outer Space; Rembrandt would be no better than Helen, Sweetheart of the Internet (one of the worst drawn comic strips I have ever seen); Beethoven would deserve no greater respect than Brittney Spears. Objective standards are the reason we can say LOTR may (or may not) have been a good score, but it most certainly is not among the very greatest scores of all time.

Figo, inviting all contrarians to knock themselves silly; he's going to bed.

ya know, Figo, i was just about to write something to that nature, and am now glad i didn't go through all the time to write it, since you already did. that posts pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue.

tpigeon- a little freaked out

Which is why we create "objective" standards by which we subjectively judge, if we are to judge responsibly.  We can love trash, but it is unreasonable to try and foist trash off as "great" (unless it be great trash).  We may enjoy a trashy movie more than a great work of art, but if we hold both up to an objective standard, we can understand why one is derided as trashy and the other is considered art.  You can philosophically wrangle about this for all eternity, and there will always be stubborn dissenters, but if it weren't true then we wouldn't hold Citizen Kane in greater esteem than Plan 9 from Outer Space; Rembrandt would be no better than Helen, Sweetheart of the Internet (one of the worst drawn comic strips I have ever seen); Beethoven would deserve no greater respect than Brittney Spears.  Objective standards are the reason we can say LOTR may (or may not) have been a good score, but it most certainly is not among the very greatest scores of all time.

Figo, inviting all contrarians to knock themselves silly; he's going to bed.

Well, objective qualities have their subjective advantages. They add interest and relistenablity. Perhaps a better measurement is the variety of things a work of art does for you.

Only scientific polls should count.

If this were like 4 years ago how much you want to bet James Horner's score for Titanic would have won? :)

Especially with all the zealot fans (read 13 year old girls) that film had.