JW Concert Works - Scores?

Saxbabe

Okay, I looked for a topic on this and didn't readily see one...so...

I am curious about seeing some of the scores to JW's concert works...are any of these available for sale?

First, I tried to look up who publishes him, which seems to be Boosey & Hawkes (link), but that page doesn't have much information, they redirect you to Warner-Chappell, which sends you in circles eventually, about all they tell you is they handle his film scores, yadda yadda. Confusement!! :blink:

I was in search of an actual list there, for his concert works, like this: John Adams

Or is JWFAN the only source of such a list? :cool:

With contemporary music, for scores that aren't available to be bought, often you can write the publisher and request a perusal score, which they can send you to be checked out for study for a couple of months. I didn't even know such a thing existed until this year, when I had to do this for research. It is an awesome opportunity to know about.

Obviously, two scores that would be amazing to see, are that of Soundings and the Horn Concerto...but, well, any of his concert works really!

Anyone studied any of these before?

EDIT: I'm referring specifically to his orchestral pieces/concertos, I know some chamber music such as the Duo Concertante is not hard to find..

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think I am right if I say.. the of Publisher of John Williams "serious" works is Hal Leonard..

I dont think that soundings is available for sale, but the horn concerto def. is, look here:

http://www.halleonard.com/search_items.jsp...mp;type=product

or the direct link, Horn Concerto:

http://www.halleonard.com/item_detail.jsp?...=williams+horn+

just type in whatever you search, I think Five Sacred trees only exists as Piano Reduction + Basson /well most of them I think)

Oh thanks! :blink: I knew I had seen some of them available before...but my mind could not dredge up where...

But there are still many of them missing though. :cool:

Like TreeSong, Violin Concerto...the Cello stuff...Clarinet and Flute Concertos...Soundings...

Still, wonder if any of those could be possible to see "on perusal loan"...

The place to ask would likely be Boosey & Hawkes, it looks like...it would be whoever orchestras rent the music from when they perform one of his concert pieces.

It is common when orchestras are figuring out concert programming for the next season, that they may request perusal scores of works under consideration, so that can help the music director decide if the piece would work for the group - he gets to check out the conductor's score, in essence.

For example, see here:

http://www.boosey.com/pages/licensing/RentalUS.asp

From that page:

Q: How do I obtain a perusal score?

A: You can request a perusal score by emailing your name, phone number, and mailing address to our promotions department at perusals.us@boosey.com. Please be as detailed as possible regarding the work you are requesting and note we CANNOT accept any address with a PO Box. Perusal scores are available to help customers finalize concert programming; they are not meant to replace rental materials. If you need extra and/or advance scores to supplement a rental request, please indicate this on your rental order form and we will provide those as part of your order.

Sometimes they will do it for study too, not sure about B&H, but I know from experience the publishers Chester/Schirmer are quite generous in fufilling study perusal requests...

With contemporary music, for scores that aren't available to be bought, often you can write the publisher and request a perusal score, which they can send you to be checked out for study for a couple of months. I didn't even know such a thing existed until this year, when I had to do this for research. It is an awesome opportunity to know about.

Wow, this sounds very interesting! But aren't the publishers concerned about one making a copy of the perusal score before returning it? :blink: Because surely in many cases this might be the only way to obtain a particular score ...

I've been looking for years for Hisaishi's symphonic poem Nausicaä (as wonderfully recorded by the LPO) full score with all my efforts being in vain so far. :( I don't even know who te publisher is, if any. Can somebody help me? I'd really be most grateful. :cool: I fear that it's not possible to obtain this score anywhere. But then, I made the same assumption about Vaughan Williams Symphony No. 7 'Sinfonia Antartica', which luckily later proved wrong, as I was after a year or so of intensive searching proved wrong and able to buy a "licensed photocopy" of the score, which was pretty expensive, but I at least have the long desired score in my collection now. ^_^

All of JW's concert works are published through Hal Leonard in the Signature Score Editions. I own several including the trumpet concerto (which I'm still trying to master). Don't expect Soundings to get published - its too early and they're going to have to figure out ownership rights first.

Just as a side note - most of the Boosey and Hawkes catalog is now owned by Hal Leonard.

I own several including the trumpet concerto (which I'm still trying to master).

Yeah, but that's the piano reduction, whereas Greta is hunting for complete scores (as I am).

We should try to get those at any cost :blink: Any orchestra conductor or manager around?