Jerry Goldsmith Archive Interview

Incanus

I think this warrants its own thread.

I chanced upon this while searching the YouTube. Here is a nearly 2 hour Jerry Goldsmith interview done with John Burlingame in 2002:

I have yet to see this one in its entirety but by the looks of it, it is an interesting one. It deals mostly with Goldsmith's early career in TV and his later contributions to the medium but this is great stuff. :lol:

And here is another one: Film music Masters: Jerry Goldsmith (in 7 parts):

Film Music Masters: Jerry Goldsmith Part 1

An excellent documentary with a career spanning retrospect interspersed with interviews of Goldsmith and his collaborators and footage from the River Wild recording sessions which incidentally is the last film and score covered in the documentary.

Watching these makes you appreciate and also miss Mr. Goldsmith and his music and personality all the more.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have seen these both, and they are musts for JG fans.

This one about Alien's score is a good one too, although the comments from others kind of pisses me off, in particular when David Giler says that they just turned some of it down and tracked in some sounds they had laying around. Ugh.

This one about Alien's score is a good one too, although the comments from others kind of pisses me off, in particular when David Giler says that they just turned some of it down and tracked in some sounds they had laying around. Ugh.

You're so right. Those guys made quite a few poor musical decisions in their time. ;) Alien soundtrack as represented on disc 1 of Intrada's 2 CD edition is a masterpiece which should have finished in film in an unaltered and unbastardized form. :lol:

The Goldsmith documentary is one of those rare occasions when we get to see the actual recording process of a single theme. Goldsmith could spend hours and hours in the most meaningless action cue, and if you watch closely, you'll see the final result has nothing to do with they played at the beginning! I also like his conducting style, a more experienced one than in the Filmharmonic '70 concert (I think that clip is at jerrygoldsmithonline.com).