Jon & Al Kaplan's 2009 roundup

Morlock

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know it's a strange thread. I dunno, I listened to it, liked it, wondered what others thought. They're not particularly fond of Up, Avatar or Twilight, make a point of not talking about Star Trek, go on about a really nice sounding video game score called Valkyrie. They mention Mr. Coscina, too, for the Christopher Gordon score (that I'm really excited to hear).

Yeah, I know it's a strange thread. I dunno, I listened to it, liked it, wondered what others thought. They're not particularly fond of Up, Avatar or Twilight, make a point of not talking about Star Trek, go on about a really nice sounding video game score called Valkyrie. They mention Mr. Coscina, too, for the Christopher Gordon score (that I'm really excited to hear).

The Kaplans are the last straw of old FSM, when they all were really pissing on any new score of a respective year. I remember the print edition when they made those hilarious yearly roundups. I always asked myself how they dared to approach composers like Newton Howard, Zimmer or Horner (sometimes even Williams) for interviews. Goldsmith obviously was the only sourpuss of the bunch, even Horner talked to Jeff Bond afterwards!

It's sad but true that all of the FSM print guys have become disillusioned...it's made reading it a rather morbid affair at times. That's actually one the reason I really liked this one- they actually tried to sound interested this time. For years Howard and Horner wouldn't talk to FSM (they were listed as self-defined 'Enemies of FSM'). Zimmer has been 'Friend of FSM' ever since that great 1997 interview (though he hasn't spoken to them much of late, until Sherlock).