Musicological books on composers' composing style?

filmmusic

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone knows good musicological books which describe the style of composing of each composer. e.g. different chapters on harmony, melody, orchestration etc, which sum up the basic techniques of the composer (mostly 20th century composers such as Copland, Bartok, stravinsky etc.)

The books i find usually have many biographical-historical facts, and they may analyse some individual works and not sum-up the composers' composing style

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone knows good musicological books which describe the style of composing of each composer. e.g. different chapters on harmony, melody, orchestration etc, which sum up the basic techniques of the composer (mostly 20th century composers such as Copland, Bartok, stravinsky etc.)

The books i find usually have many biographical-historical facts, and they may analyse some individual works and not sum-up the composers' composing style

If it's film composers that you want, a nice set of books was published a few years ago, which covered many aspects of film-making (production design, directing, editing, etc.) which included composing, and featured interviews with the likes of Gabriel Yared, and Riuichi Sakamoto. It came with a (frankly naff) c.d., but it was worth reading. Hope this helps?

Hello.

If it's film composers that you want, a nice set of books was published a few years ago, which covered many aspects of film-making (production design, directing, editing, etc.) which included composing, and featured interviews with the likes of Gabriel Yared, and Riuichi Sakamoto. It came with a (frankly naff) c.d., but it was worth reading. Hope this helps?

hmm. i'm not sure about which books you say (maybe Film score Guide Series from Scarecorw press? although they didn't have a cd).

But I was talking about classical composers..