The Pillars of the Earth

Melange

Is anyone else enjoying this series? (or enjoyed it in the U.S when it was shown earlier this year).

Based on Ken Follet's novel, a story 'loosely' based on an era of 12th Century England.

From the first episode it was clear to me that although there were British and American actors, lots of Eastern European names were appearing in the filming credits so I think a fair bit (if not all) of it was filmed in places like Hungary. Ridley Scott was executive producer, so it definately has his stamp. It seems to have all the right ingredients really, and every episode has a cliff hanger ending. Great mix of characters also. Ian McShane is particularly good as the cunning, plotting Waleran Bigod. And the music (Trevor Morris) clearly leaning towards the Zimmer-esque (for obvious reasons) is particularly memorable. We're about 4 episode in, here in Britain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fqkG2SYpIs&feature=related

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to the score since it was released! Love the theme, more excellent work by the ever-reliable Trevor Morris. Highly recommended to fans of The Tudors or King Arthur ;)

Concerning the music, as I loved what Morris did with The Tudors

Oh, I didn't know he was involved in that too. I began watching the Tudors from Season 3, and love the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHRmtLIwYao

P.S. : why is the image reverse in the video ?

In one of the comments I think the uploader is assuming it's a way to avoid a copyright claim against the upload.

GNOL ROF TON.

Highly recommended to fans of The Tudors or King Arthur :lol:

I haven't seen the later. It tends to get a slating, but is it watchable?

I didn't think it was terrible, but audiences did. The score made the movie for me though; it was a return to Zimmer's power-anthem style, which I know a lot of people hated.

• 2 weeks later...