Sunday, February 24, 2002

Hector J. Guzman

It was one year ago one of my most pleasent experiences happened. It started the day before, me and my friend, fellow member Lord Gibson hop on a bus to LaLa Land to get John Williams' autograph at the Costco in Marina del Rey, a couple of blocks from Sony Studios where I guess the famous "Sony Scoring Stage" is. We got there and in fact there was John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma, I couldn't believe it I was just a couple of feet from the Maestro, whom I grew up watching on TV. Actually I had seen Mr. Williams two times before in concerts at the Hollywood Bowl but he was a little too far but now I could see his face, which looks pinker than on TV LOL He even conducted me and others in singing "Happy Birthday" to him, it was began by Yo-Yo Ma if I'm not mistaken.

As many people, I couldn't get the autograph, they said the had to be back for a final rehearsal. So we went to Hollywood to find a, ahem, low-priced hotel, and we did fond one very close to Hollywood Boulevard, so we went again like the two times before to see stuff happening, this time the Kodak theater and the mall that is there had been finished (the previous times we had been there it was in construction). We found the Tower Records there was closing and everything was very cheap, unfortunately there were no soundtracks or classical music, but I did find plenty of sheet music for $ .10 each, it was a real bargain I had bought most of the books a leat two times each, some I bought like four copies.

Anyway, Sunday was the big day, I had never spend so much money on anything, my ticket was posted on the previous JW site, I had never been in a concert hall and this one looked very beautiful, the orchestra was sitted by levels' I think unlike in Symphony Hall in Boston which a great part of the orchestra is at the same level. The orchestra tuned, the lights grew brighter and from the left side of the stage Mr. Williams made his appearence with a great applause, as in the other concerts, he got to the podium and conducted For Seiji!, like Mari said, and I quote, "A real tour-de-force for the orchestra! It was vibrantly alive and exciting from beginning to end." He left and came back with Yo-Yo Ma and conducted him on his Cello Concerto, also very exciting piece of music. After the intermission Mr. Ma returned to perform two pieces from Angela's Ashes (Theme and "Angela's Prayer"), two pieces from Three Pieces for Solo Cello (Rosewood and Pickin'). Williams returned for what would be the West Coast premiere of the complete "Unfinished Journey" but seems they change their minds and did the same version they did the previuos summer at the Hollywood Bowl with Paul Winfield and Alfre Woodard narrating. Like always the cheers and applause were loud at the end, the program was over but he came back and conducted the L.A. Phil on "Flying" from E.T. as the only encore, sadly. He came back again when the orchestra began to play "Happy Birthday" and again he didn't need to, but he conducted us, it was very exciting.

I got to see Mr. Williams again that year at the Hollywood Bowl on July 4, and I pray I get the chance to see him again this summer, and God willing at Disney Hall. I wish I could come up with the money and go see him at Avery Fischer Hall in Lincoln Center next year, though I doubt it. I still would like to see him were I grew up watching him, at the Pops.

:( Williams Concerto for Cello and Orchestra

Yo-Yo Ma, cello

The Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles

John Williams

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hector :mrgreen:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience! I really hope you get to see him in concert again this year. :)

Mari, who plans to see JW again this November in Chicago

i haven't seen him yet either.

i just found out today that a teacher in my school went to a JW conducted concert and heard Somewhere in My Mem'ry. (*&@#^$*!&@$)