No reports from the Washinton concert?

So, anyone has news? How it went? If you did not knew, Williams was going to conduct a program of his own music with the U.S. Marine Band at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Concert Hall in Washington, DC last night.

U.S. Marine Band

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know tickets were quite difficult to get, otherwise I would've done this concert instead of the one in Philly. DC is 20 minutes from me, while Philly is about 2.5 hours.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2003Jul13.html

A Night of Firsts for Marine Band's 205th

By Grace Jean

Special to The Washington Post

Monday, July 14, 2003; Page C05

It's hard to believe film composer John Williams had never heard his music played by a wind ensemble until last week, when he rehearsed with "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band. Perhaps what he meant to say during the group's 205th anniversary concert Saturday evening at the Kennedy Center was that he'd never heard a band perform his music so well.

Under the composer's baton, Marine Band musicians displayed their prowess in solos and impeccable intonation in sectional solos throughout the all-Williams concert, which featured the world premiere of several pieces, originally scored for orchestra, in transcriptions for concert band. From "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" to "Suite From 'JFK,' " the band's precise articulation and dynamic flexibility delighted Williams, whose arms swooped and danced, his left fist accentuating rests during syncopated rhythms.

Three bandsmen joined Williams center stage for the premiere band performance of "Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra" from "Catch Me if You Can." Staff Sgt. Gregory Ridlington whipped through his memorized sax part as Gunnery Sgt. Glenn Paulson gave chase on vibraphone. Gunnery Sgt. Glenn Dewey kept time on string bass as the band snapped and ripped through unison jazz licks.

Imbued with subdued sentiment for "Theme From 'Schindler's List,' " the band became a reflective accompanist for Master Sgt. Peter Wilson's impassioned violin solo.

The evening could not end without a few Williams classics. "Raider's March" from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and a suite from "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" preceded a lengthy but welcome encore, including a virtuosic woodwind selection from the Harry Potter films followed by the theme from "Star Wars." Williams ended the concert appropriately with a rousing medley of military songs.

So what's the problem? I wish any JW concert were 2,5 hours from where i live!!! :P

Hector, I also want to read some report. Anybody who attended it?

That´s a very nice picture... white tie this time, huh? Just like in the Oscars

:P Zimmer "Roll Tide" from Crimson Tide

Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

Erich Kunzel