1955 guys and dolls movie soundtrack?

Ren

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Sinatra fan but I haven't seen many movies he starred in, this one included. Which songs appear in this film?

There are many box sets of Sinatra songs that I believe some might include songs from that film (I have about 500 Frankie's songs myself).

I did a little search and found out the film had already come to DVD, so you could isolate the score tracks from the DVD -- I saw retail prices below $10.00.

Well, and sadly so, there may never have been an intention to release it and now that the DVD of it exists, it's even less probable.

Roman.-)

i have the dvd, but haven't really delved into the whole isolating score, even though with this movie i bet it would easily be done. songs: guys and dolls, lady luck, sue me, fugue for tinhorns, but the songs i really want are the ones that he probably hasn't recorded since the movie, like the oldest established. i really like marlon brando and sinatra in this movie, i'm a tad hesitant to see any other versions. i wonder if the show that nathan lane did is any good?

Ren,

One of the songs you want most has been recorded. Go to http://www.gracenote.com, click on "Search CDDB", and fill in the fields. I did a search on the song and it returned these five matches:

CD: Frank Sinatra / 1965-A Man And His Music (Disc 2)

The Oldest Established Crap Game In New York

CD: Frank Sinatra / The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings (Disk 7)

The Oldest Established (Permanent Floating Crap Game In New York)

CD: Frank Sinatra / Frank Sinatra in Hollywood

The Oldest Established (Permanent Floating Crap Game in New York)

CD: Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra / Frank & Dean In Concert Chicago - 1977

The Oldest Established Floating Crap Game In New York (Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin)

CD: Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis JR, Dean Martin / The Rat Pack (Live At The Sands)

The Oldest Established

The Oldest Established (Reprise)

And thanks for the tip, Ren! I will order the "Frank Sinatra in Hollywood" CD as it has a few takes I don't have yet.

;)

Roman.-)

jeez, enough of the crap game here!

well guess i'll have to look that up. i really wanted the version from the movie with all the men singing. . . . .i wonder if one of the versions has a chorus singing too.,

I can find that out for you over the weekend. I have a friend who's Sinatra completist so I'll enquire with him. He should know. Myself can't help you since I've never even heard that song and except for Lady Luck I'm not familiar with the rest of the songs from the movie.

Just curious, Ren, you like Sinatra's songs or just want this specific score? Curious because I deify him as a singer and entertainer, and people over here generally say that Sinatra is more popular with non-American people and that his American fans are not as devoted. I didn't want to believe this thesis, though.

Roman.-)

no i think he's a brilliant performer. he probably is the definitive 'lounge' singer. someone anyone would want to emmulate.

they have a course at berklee just for learning 'sinatra phrasing'. i love the score for the score itself. but i LOVE sinatra way more.

Pleased to hear it's so, Ren. :P

I could say Sinatra means the same in the genre what Williams in orchestral music for me. Both made me heavily fond of the genre they "dominate" (couldn't resist) and that is not a daily occurrence.

As for song composers working during Sinatra's era, my all-time front-runner must be Cole Porter.

:)