Hector is expecting this new recording

I'm expecting a new recording by John Williams celebrating Leonard Bernstein's 100th Birthday, the way he did with George Gershwin in 1998.

Performed by the Boston Symphony, no less.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be around 2018, over a decade to go... I'm not so sure one should make so long term plans, since Williams is already 72, and by then would be 86...

I'm not being negative... More like it, I'm being realistic. At 72, many are already retired!

And even in the case of musicians, many slow down a lot their out put. Copland lived until he was 90, but he wrote very little in his last 10 years. Rozsa also worked in but a few chamber works after the early 80's -- and by the late 80's he didn't wrote at all due to health problems.

And unfortunatelly, others die ealrier -- Mancini at 70, and Bernstein himself at 72.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be around 2018, over a decade to go... I'm not so sure one should make so long term plans, since Williams is already 72, and by then would be 86...

What about Elliot Carter? He's 96 and is working as hard as ever. Beside, Rozsa worked on film scores infrequently from the 60's onwards and is not the best example, Williams is much more dedicated to film music! North worked until he died at age 80. I think Williams will write for as long as he is able, infact I believe he himself said similar.

I'm gald to know that Carter is working well, even at 96.

I don't know if we can compare North and Williams... North wrote some 50 film score, while Williams has score around the double of that. And I know I'm not the one here with best knowledge on North, but did he had such a intensive performing career as Williams?

But I do hope Williams gets to be 101 -- at least -- and working untill is last breath.

Having said this, as a fan of the late Lenny Bernstein, I would love to see such an album -- I love the Pops' Bernstein by Boston disc. I'm only sorry they didn't the same for Copland in 2000.

I don't know if we can compare North and Williams... North wrote some 50 film score, while Williams has score around the double of that. And I know I'm not the one here with best knowledge on North, but did he had such a intensive performing career as Williams?

No, but he was very dedicated to film music and was a massive talent of massive range.

No, but he was very dedicated to film music and was a massive talent of massive range.

Yes, I totally agree with you... And by the way, since you seem to be the North fanboy around here... Do you think 2001: A Space Odyssey would have been better served with North score?

I can't say for sure, I don't know what affect the score has on the experience of the movie. But I can say the Richard Strauss and the choral Ligeti is the only material he doesn't surpass.

I asked because I for once do believe that Kubrick choices were better ones. It doens't have to do with musical quality or even taste -- afterall, Kubrick did filmed and edit most of the picture to the music later used.

I did temped the film with North score some time ago, and I think that North over scored. The first part of Dawn of Men works much better only with the natural, documentary like sounds. Music for most part -- with the exception of the apearence of the Monolith, were Ligeti's Requiem is used -- is intrusive.

By saying this, I don't mean to say i don't like North's work, or that I agree with the way Kubrick behaved. In fact I do love the rejected score, but to me this sounds more like a orchestral suite than music from a film.

I do think that Kubrick acted as a spoiled child, comissioning a score, and never talking to North again -- the composer only discovered that hsi work was replaced at the film's premiere.

But on the end, I do prefer Kubrick's choices.

Other comments?

Well as I said I haven't seen it edited to the film. :P

I will say though that nobody over scores like alex north, he has the power to make a crappy movie enjoyable with it. :)

Well as I said I haven't seen it edited to the film. :)

I will say though that nobody over scores like alex north, he has the power to make a crappy movie enjoyable with it. :)

I can't say about Alex North overscoreing, but in some cases, that is the only reason to watch a film :P

Yeah, I mean you can argue that opera is always overscored. :P Yet that's one of the reasons it's so popular.