The Use of Qui-gon's Funeral in Sith

Pelzter

I was just wondering what your thoughts might be on this? Personally, I think it works wonders in the movie - however, any idea as to why that particular piece was used? To me, it seems to underscore a Jedi Funeral; that Anakin's funeral is his transformation into Vader, maybe a misleading clue that his Jedi persona is now lost forever.

Thoughts?

Pelzter, who is thrilled by the score in the movie (and the lack of jarring edits)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you've got it right. In addition, it underscores Padme's funeral procession as well.

No, it doesn't. The Padme funeral music is unreleased; Qui-Gon's funeral music only underscores her death.

I already mentioned this in the Thematic Use thread, and I said, basically, that we shouldn't just associate it with any one person. It should be thought of as funeral music. In a way it's like the Force Theme, which was commonly referred to as Obi-Wan's theme, but in the larger sense, is used to signify the Force as a whole, or any Jedi.

Tim

Yes, you've got it right. In addition, it underscores Padme's funeral procession as well.

No, it doesn't. The Padme funeral music is unreleased; Qui-Gon's funeral music only underscores her death.

Yes, it does. It's the same music, just a different arrangement (more subdued).

I want to hear that scene again but my initial impression was that he did one of those on the spot corrections to the scene. So probably it played normal and Lucas said he wanted something quieter and JW carved out the arrangment. Maybe I'll see it more favorably when I watch it again but at the time it felt like it was a somewhat rushed adaptation, like he wouldn't have come up with that in his initial writing of the score. And that would explain the difference on the soundtrack where we hear it how he intended.

- Adam

What do you mean with "how he intended"? That part is in the film. So the more quiet version was intended to be like that (or we would have the same version 5 times in a row :P).

I think the subdued version is absolutely beautiful.

Well I’m just speaking to my initial impression that he didn’t so much write something new as he did subtract from the orchestra. Its not that it sounded bad but that it made me think of the kind of adjustments he makes when he doesn’t have time to rewrite something. So by intention I’m of course talking about his original intention. But, as I said, I need to see it again and your point about the number of times it repeats (I didn't remeber it being that much) casts some doubt on what I was saying although it also underscores the question of whether that music should have been relied on so much to the point that it feels looped and was that something Lucas insisted on? But, anyway, I'm going to see it again today and I'll pay closer attention.

- Adam

Ok, now I can see that I got things pretty confused and the new version is the same cue that incorporates Vader's theme at the end, so obviously a new arrangement. My mistake.

I'm not sure how I feel about the funeral music on the CD playing over Darth Vader's awakening. He gives it more of a flourish at the end to fit Vader's scream but something more original seemed called for, for such a crucial scene. Maybe Lucas' request - I don't know.

- Adam