The Rebel Fleet

robthehand

On Teh Empire Strikes Back, the track "The Rebel Fleet" seems to be extended on the SE. The anthology and the film both have the section from (on the SE) 1:22-1:33 removed. Why is this? Is it an edit or a different recording?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an alternate recording, I think. There's a difference with the credits too: compare 3:41 on the SE to 3:33 on the Anthology. There's clear edit jump on the SE, but not on the Anthology. Now listen to the film version of the ESB credits - on the film version of "Ewok Celebration," Anthology Disc 4. 3:38 - there's no sustained string note leading into the Imperial March.

My thinking on these is that they are alternate takes used for "better" CD listening experience, as Cerrbaore said. Listen to the music on the SE after Han is raised from the carbonite pit. There's a bit of music that's not in the film also. I believe the liner notes say that's an alternate take of what was actually used for the film. It's jarring, I know, but good to have it.

It's like the music after the titles in track two. The more bombastic approach to the Imperial March is an alternate take; the real version is on track four. Again, a little jarring, but a nice bonus.

My thinking on these is that they are alternate takes used for "better" CD listening experience, as Cerrbaore said. Listen to the music on the SE after Han is raised from the carbonite pit. There's a bit of music that's not in the film also. I believe the liner notes say that's an alternate take of what was actually used for the film. It's jarring, I know, but good to have it.

It's like the music after the titles in track two. The more bombastic approach to the Imperial March is an alternate take; the real version is on track four. Again, a little jarring, but a nice bonus.

An alternate take is a different recording of the same music. The examples you cited are entirely different versions of music...

Now, as to the credits, I believe the difference between the SE album credits versus the Anthology album credits is probably just a case of an edit being redone, and/or remixing. The Anthology's film version credits (on "Ewok Celebration") don't contain the sustained string note from Yoda's theme leading into the Imperial March. Here's the deal, I think: the credits (as they tend to be) are compiled from a number of different cues. Yoda's theme is one, the Imperial March is another. The sustained string note missing from the film version credits is the end of the Yoda's theme cue, over which the Imperial March cue is mixed in. For some reason, the end of this cue was simply removed from the Anthology.

"Rebel Fleet," on the other hand, seems to be an alternate take/version (technically version because of the small removed section). The orchestra folly doesn't match.