The Rights to the JFK score

Pelzter

Who owns the right to the score to JFK? I'm asking because I'm doing a short film as a University Assignment and I think the theme to JFK would fit right in... but how does one go about getting the right to use it? It is even feasable?

--Pelzter

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the music department of Warner Bros. They'll ask you to fax a form from their online site, which I'm having trouble finding. It's possible to use the music, but the price to use it depends on how the film will be shown (festival, commercial screening), how much music is needed, which pieces you want to use and in what way will it be used.

I used music from Interview With the Vampire for a 5-minute film I did last year. It cost me $150 to use 45 seconds of music.

Your question addresses the issue of "fair use". You can always use up to 30 seconds of music for free. If you use more, you cannot be using said music to gain profit. If a profit is made, you have to pay royalties to the person/persons who own the copyright. If you are using the music in a classroom for educational purposes and as long as you are not re-distributing the music, profiting, etc. you can use it for "educational purposes". Now, if you decide to submit your film project to a film fest of some sort, you need to contact people for permission to use the music. if it will only be seen in the classroom I wouldn't worry about it.