In hindsight ...

homiealex

Hello all,

I can't believe that when I first heard the score to Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith I was disappointed and didn't like it very much (particularly "Battle of the Heroes" and Grievous' chase music)!!!

I listen to it all the time now, and it is FANTASTIC music!!!

I still don't think it's as good as it could've been, but it still rocks. There are tons of little motives interwoven throughout the score that either aren't on the OST or you have to listen a closely to catch, and I also have a lot of music not on the OST now too.

Great score.

God bless,

Alex

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

I can't believe that when I first heard the score to Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith I was disappointed and didn't like it very much (particularly "Battle of the Heroes" and Grievous' chase music)!!!

I listen to it all the time now, and it is FANTASTIC music!!!

I still don't think it's as good as it could've been, but it still rocks. There are tons of little motives interwoven throughout the score that either aren't on the OST or you have to listen a closely to catch, and I also have a lot of music not on the OST now too.  

Great score.

God bless,

Alex

Good on you man,

Anakin's Betrayal has grown on me a lot!

But I still can't listen to the rest of it. Shame

On a same note I couldn't listen to Memoirs but now I can't stop playing Confluence.

It would've been cool to have a heroic version of Anakin's theme during the battle over Coruscant, more of the love theme when he and Padme reunite (instead of that dark, unsettling, almost creepy music ... I don't get it ...), Darth Vader's theme during his duel with Obi-Wan (for HIM, not Palpatine and Yoda ... what was that about?!?), a powerful rendition of Palpatine's theme (like in the climax to Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi while he and Yoda are talking before battle. I would've liked to hear Luke and Leia's theme during their birth instead of the Harry Potter sounding celeste stuff ... but then again, who wouldn't have? (apparently JW :? ), and something other than two nearly note-for-note reprises of "Qui-Gon's Funeral" from Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace ...

I have to wonder how much of this is because of George Lucas, Ben Burtt, etc. because there was an awesome rendition of Palpatine's theme as he fought the Jedi Masters that didn't make it into the film, and I'm sure that there must be other cues that JW intended to have used but were cut!

Also, lots of great music was missing from the OST (as usual). The full original version of "Battle over Coruscant" (which I have now and it rocks!), "Another Happy Landing" (have it too), the music when Anakin and Padme reunite, the full original "Obi-Wan's Departure" (aka "Brothers' Farewell" etc.; have it), the music when Obi-Wan arrives on Utapau (have it), the piece when Palpatine reveals himself to Anakin (have it), the 20-30ish seconds of music during the mislabeled "Anakin's Betrayal" (I call it "Jedi Purge", JW called it "Lament" at some point; have it), the piece as Bail Organa leaves on the Tantive IV and Obi-Wan steals General Grevious' ship (have it), "Anakin's Dark Deeds" with the awesome percussion (have it), the extended "It Can't Be" (have it), the reprise of the lament on the landing pad, and the full duel music (have it) ...

I have a handful of other cues but those are the highlights ^ ^ ^ There are many awesome motivic relationships throughout the score that I hear now!

God bless,

Alex

Battle of the Heroes took a long time to grow on me and the main reason is because it's not played in the right order. When the movie came out in theaters, I whipped up a homemade version of what the final battles sounded like musically (starting with Anakin vs. Obi-Wan then a short version of Duel of the Fates, followed by Battle of the Heroes) and in that respect . . . it sounds epic. I've always described BotH as being both epic and personal in sound and I love the theme to death. When the complete score does come out, the "full" duel music will be fantastic.

As for Vader's theme playing when Yoda and Palpatine are talking (right before they fight), they are talking about Vader and the outcome of that fight will determine whether or not Vader will live. Sure, it's a bit of a stretch but I love the "updated version" of that theme from Empire making it into the prequel trilogy.

Glad to see someone else diggin' it though. It's almost not cool to like the Prequel Star Wars music around here.