interesting article at Filmscoremonthy

tpigeon

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah thanks for the link! I noticed this earlier. Its actually q very good read.

One of the points covered in that article was about the ability to take a score as a thing independent from the film.

I've often wondered about this myself from time to time.

Its like they're sort of asking: Can the music for film identify itself beyond just the film".

In other words could you take the music to say Star Wars and use it to imagine some other exciting adventure.

Could you do it for E.T.?

Could you do it for Indy?

I honestly think it would be hard. you see one of the things about John Williams music (and it is a REAL credit to it) is that it becomes so tightly embraced with the stories it supports. I mean Williams music was such intergral parts of these films that it would be impossible to imagine them without it.

In that sense John Williams music immediately invokes visions of the films.

So it would be hard in that case.

I don't know why anyone would want to do that though when a score can be extremely subtle in the context of a film, I don't see why there is any meaning or significance to if film music can meanful without the film when it's so meanful when related to it's film. Symphonies frequently tell a story. Film music says things about a story, it does not merely tell the story musically. And to remove the music from the context of the film damages it's ability to work as a stand alone listening experience because it won't mean anything other than emotion. The fact that film music can be extremely subtle I think already makes it a high art without needing to work without any relation to the film. I mean, that's what this question is at the core really, the value of film music as music. One doesn't need to watch the film while listening for it to have value in this sense, one merely needs to know the film. And therefore, I think that film music can fairly easily stand alone as much as concert music does.

2. 'Inaudibility' -- music must not be heard consciously, and should be submitted to dialogue, the visuals etc.

Now this erroneously assumes that music that is audible is a distraction. All the music has to do is perfectly fit the scene, it doesn't matter if it's very audible or not. See Harry Potter for a good example of this. Infact, from my experience, if the viewer is more aware of the music, it will add to the experience. But it should submit to dialogue definitely, because it will easily distract from it. However, there are problems here, because audibility is subjective.

Anyway, what I really liked about this article is how it talked about how film can be more than just narrative.

Music should ALWAYS be clear and audible and SHOULD ALWAYS be there to enhance the scene. Not just provide background. Any great director will tell ya that.

there are so many ways of approaching film music, and that's what i love about it. many people on this board naturally talk about the music as itself, apart from the film. and that is quite alright, but it's primary function is to accompany the images on the screen. it is such a different medium of music and i sure wish more people would recognize it as stand-alone music. but unfortunately, many don't even recognize its importance within the context of a film, which i think it understandable. for example, my discovery and love of film music was a very progressive discovery. my love of it was always there, i just never realized it.

and to me, that is what is so incredibly unique about film music. in a film, it's the like an offensive lineman. it can take all the heat when it's not doing its job, but will never get any credit when it is doing its job. the latter occurs much more. but as a realization of amazing music, it's a discovery waiting to happen only to a certain few.

other types of music are right there for you to hear or experience. but film music is music inspired by images with the power to stand by itself. it is truly multi-dimensional. and for something so unique, complex, and overall great to listen to, it's hard to believe that so few recognize the genius of it. the fact that some never will so much as recognize it in a movie baffles me, let alone as just music.

Yeah it has a primary function and yes that does affect what the music will ultimately become. However, in many ways ALL music has a primary function like this. Trying to convey "images" or "emotions" if you catch my drift. Anyway I just love taking the music by itself as its own artistic work independent of the film.