1. 1.

• Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stefancos- who hopes he will never grow old the way Figo does, thinking that "everything used to be better in the old days, dagnabbit!!!"

LOL

What's more shocking is that Crusade should be the one trailing behind the original, since it is far and away the weakest of the three.  But it just goes to show what happens when kids are raised on films like Hook and Jurassic Park.  They develop an unhealthy affection for warmed-over bombast and then can't appreciate superior craftsmanship when they encounter it. :evil:

Nag...nag...nag...nag...bitch...bitch...bitch...moan...moan...moan.

Stefancos- who hopes he will never grow old the way Figo does, thinking that "everything used to be better in the old days, dagnabbit!!!"

Yes I hope that when you get older, the movies will be better than they are now too. Maybe they will be as good as when I was in my teens and twenties.

Joe, who thinks that is unlikely, but remains :shakehead: hopeful.

I'm sure an enourmous amount of bad movies were made when your were in your teens and twenties.

It's just the good ones that get stuck in your memory.

Stefancos- who knows all about the blaxploitation craze of the 70's. :shakehead:

Yet you ignore the other 2 examples...

Stefancos- who thinks Figo is as uninterested in others peoples opinions as Chrushercomix.

Forgive me for selecting the one that bests illustrates my point. I'm sure you would have done the same.

If I gave it any thought, I would concede Star Trek III is better than I, but that doesn't mean it was anything to write home about. I haven't seen Wise's director's cut, so I can't say definitively one way or the other. I just remember the third lacked the fun of II, and Christopher Lloyd was unusually lame.

The Bond movies are so loosely connected, they don't count. In fact, it's an insult to drag Indiana Jones down to their level. Some of the installments were extremely entertaining, but none of them were Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I'm sure an enourmous amount of bad movies were made when your were in your teens and twenties.

Yeah, the difference is we're not trying to say they were good. :roll:

It's just the good ones that get stuck in your memory.

Stefancos- who knows all about the blaxploitation craze of the 70's.  :shakehead:

Your right, but the bad ones were not the big boxoffice hits of the day, as they are now. Except for Grease.

like mononucleous, Grease will not go away.

What's more shocking is that Crusade should be the one trailing behind the original, since it is far and away the weakest of the three.  But it just goes to show what happens when kids are raised on films like Hook and Jurassic Park.  They develop an unhealthy affection for warmed-over bombast and then can't appreciate superior craftsmanship when they encounter it. :evil:

Bombast = Just I don't like it. If it means noise without sense :music:

Your right, but the bad ones were not the big boxoffice hits of the day, as they are now. Except for Grease.

The Poseidon Adventure? The Exorcist? Superman? Moonraker? Saturday Night Fever? Airport?

The Poseidon Adventure? The Exorcist? Superman? Moonraker? Saturday Night Fever? Airport?

And what is your point Morn? Are you saying all of those films are bad?

Of those listed only Moonraker is even somewhat considered bad, all the other films got mostly good to excellent reviews. Exorcist is one of the greatest horror films of all time. Superman is the greatest comic book and superhero film of all time. Saturday Night Fever is a terrific movie, capturing the essence of the late 70's. Airport is so much more than a disaster film, which it isn't. The Poseidon Adventure is a great disaster film. Even Moonraker as silly as its plot was has a certain visual style that alot of films go do well to copy.

So I ask once again Morn, whats your point?

I am saying those films are no better than so called 90's blockbusters. Some worse. The Poseidon Adventure is one of the most boring films I have seen. The Exorcist is nothing special. Superman is ok. Airport is ok, it seems rather.... thin and over done.

? Nope, I just don't find it scary at all. And find little of value in it. I mean, all you see basically is the girl slowly going more mad. There is not much in the way of the plot.

You must be confusing me with someone else :music: I don't think Jurassic Park is brilliant, but a lot of fun.

All right, then:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Hook

The Phantom Menace

A.I.

Attack of the Clones

None of these are exactly well-plotted. The Exorcist runs circles around all of them.

By the way, Morn, it's not madness, it's demonic possession. There's a difference -- although I realize it would be difficult to tell, living in Australia.

I am saying those films are no better than so called 90's blockbusters. Some worse. The Poseidon Adventure is one of the most boring films I have seen.

Thats because your a product of the MTV/VH1 generation. Why bother with setup and exposition, just give me nonstop action baby.

The Exorcist is nothing special.

Morn this may qualify as one of the top 10 most dumb things you have ever said. Nothing special, how about great acting, great writing, great directing, great production values. Just think how good some of todays films would be if they had all of those.

Superman is ok.

Morn this also qualifies as one of the top 10 dumb things you have ever said. Great story, great acting, great direction, one of the great scores of all time, yes its ok.

Airport is ok, it seems rather.... thin and over done.

Really thin, sure since all you think is its a disaster film. It isn't. Its a complex melodrama about the workings of an international airport. Sure its melodrama but it provides great acting, great writing, and quite a few enjoyable characters. Did I mention some great acting. And you said over done. Lets examine that. How is that possible. Its the first of its kind in well over a decade. The High and the Mighty was ages before. Airport spawned some sequels but it was still the original.

Thin is what your arguement was Morn. banghead

Thats because your a product of the MTV/VH1 generation. Why bother with setup and exposition, just give me nonstop action baby.

The characters were annoying. The dialogue was bad. It was over dramatic, it seemed fake and set up. Like the characters were being driven through some ride on a theme park.

Morn this may qualify as one of the top 10 most dumb things you have ever said. Nothing special, how about great acting, great writing, great directing, great production values. Just think how good some of todays films would be if they had all of those.

It's missing a good plot. Which brings down the rest of it.

Morn this also qualifies as one of the top 10 dumb things you have ever said. Great story, great acting, great direction, one of the great scores of all time, yes its ok.

Great story? yeah right, it's just an ordinary criminal story jazzed up. No better than say Speed. With interesting characters. Acting and direction do not make up for a story.

And I only caught the last half of Airport.

then if you haven't seen the whole thing your comments are baseless.

as for the Exorcist having no plot. What do you call the story of a girl who becomes demonically possessed after playing with a oujia board, by herself, and the subsequent attempts at finding first a medical cure, then a spiritual one.

Of course being an athiest may affect your ability to follow the plot

Hey, I'm an atheist (or at least an agnostic), and I thought it was terrific!

Figo, not really knowing what the hell he is, really.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

-- Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, Act I, scene v.

as for the Exorcist having no plot.  What do you call  the story of a girl who becomes demonically possessed after playing with a oujia board, by herself, and the subsequent attempts at finding first a medical cure, then a spiritual one.

Not very interesting.