Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Game)

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Clint Bajakian)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb by Clint Bajakian. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the game? What are your favourite tracks?

This time again not a random choice, but I figured it might be interesting to discuss this one while holding out for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. If you're not familiar with this one, please say so but don't vote yet. I can really recommend giving this one a listen. There's several good new themes, good action music and some great, interesting usages of the Raiders March.

So far JWFan has rated:

Zathura by John Debney: 3,17 stars - 17 votes - 11 unfamiliar

Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,57 stars - 22 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Star Trek X: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,03 stars - 38 votes - 9 unfamiliar

The Sea Hawk by Erich Wolfgang Korngold: 4,58 stars - 39 votes - 13 unfamiliar

Independence Day by David Arnold: 4,21 stars - 57 votes - 5 unfamiliar

Krull by James Horner: 4,31 stars - 45 votes - 10 unfamiliar

Quigley Down Under by Basil Poledouris: 3,63 stars - 16 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri: 3,56 stars - 29 votes - 12 unfamiliar

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope by John Williams: 4,75 stars - 57 votes - 2 unfamiliar

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith: 4,12 stars - 41 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Kingdom of Heaven by Harry Gregson-Williams: 3,89 stars - 32 votes - 5 unfamiliar

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not original composition.. (thank god..)

Nice cameos of Williams orchestrations in action cues. And some mola ram chants. Nice renditions of the main theme, and a nive nazi theme.

Synth underscore unforgiveable :dance:

And lack of a propper CD release.

What do you mean by "it's not original composition"? :dance:

I vote for 4 stars. I think it's really good. The nazi theme is great and Mei Ying's theme is really quite lovely. Then there's also Von Beck's theme and Kai Ti Chan's theme. The Raiders March recorded for the game has some nice surprises and there's a lot of interesting variations on the Raiders March in the score. Also there's plenty of very good action tracks.

It's unfortunate about the synthesized music though and on the 2-disc edition I've got, there's rather a lot of music doubled. Still good stuff though.

Yes, it does use the Raiders March, which wasn't composed by Clint Bajakian. But he does quite some interesting things with it not heard in the John Williams Indiana Jones scores and there's several new themes and plenty of stuff that Clint Bajakian did compose. So I don't mind. Actually, I think it's a really good effort. It sounds like an Indiana Jones score while still being original and not a copy-paste job.

If you're not familiar with this one, please say so but don't vote yet. I can really recommend giving this one a listen. There's several good new themes, good action music and some great, interesting usages of the Raiders March.
I don't think people read this. :rolleyes:

This is a great video game score, but it's leagues behind the film scores. To compare them is to hold this score to an impossible standard. Mei Ying's theme is nice, but the recordings of it are only about thirty seconds long, so there's no development. The Nazi theme is darker and more dramatic than the Nazi motives from the films, which I suppose reflects the villain, Von Beck. The Chinese material sometimes sounds hackneyed, but for the most part it's respectable ethnic music. The strongest part of this score is the action music.

The orchestra (Seattle Sinfonia?) performs decently.

3,5 stars, because of the great action cues and all the raiders march variations. There are better game scores (halo, gears of war etc.) but it definitly helps to add to an indy feel in the game.

• 2 weeks later...