'Superman Requiem' - A Superhero Fan Film

Ricard

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone watch this? I have nothing to do with the film but I'm curious about your reactions. I'll reserve my opinion for now.

I did.

It's hard to criticize a film done out such passion. This wasn't made by professionals, it was made by people like you and me. For that alone, the film deserves more respect and good will from the viewer's eyes than, say, Superman Returns.

That being said, not even under those conditions did I enjoy the time I spent watching it. "Unprofessional" is no excuse for "untalented", but this is what most of the performances are. Even for a fan film, the script and story aren't very strong or original. I forgive them for not exuding fanboy passion -- who wouldn't? -- but they fall into a far more dangerous area: fanboy complacency. Same applies to the editing and pacing. Ultimately, there is more "fan" that "film" in this fan film.

So, do I felt like I wasted my time? Do I condemn the film and its makers? Hell no. Misguided as I perceive it, it's a passion project. Beyond the superficial story, the choppy editing and the bad casting, what we are witnessing is somebody's dream coming true. This is something I will never get tired to seeing. As far as I know/care, the director/dreamer is not happy with the final result either. But we can't kid ourselves -- the film itself is only part of the experience. His dream and its realization are part of the viewing experience and that cannot be ignored.

I am glad you posted it and I am glad I saw it. I will not see it again out of pleasure (I may write an article about it for my newspaper this week, with an interview to the director, so I may revisit some scenes), but ultimately I'm glad I, as a long-time Superman fan turned audience member, got to contribute to the realization of this ambition.

As for the music, the use of Williams' themes is remarkably respectful and intelligent. No fanboy composer masturbating to the Maestro's composition -- they are properly used with the proper sound whenever they are needed, sometimes to great effect. Whoever was behind the music might not be (doesn't ned to be) extremely talented, but he was at least strikingly smart.

Did anyone watch this? I have nothing to do with the film but I'm curious about your reactions. I'll reserve my opinion for now.

As for the music, the use of Williams' themes is remarkably respectful and intelligent. No fanboy composer masturbating to the Maestro's composition -- they are properly used with the proper sound whenever they are needed, sometimes to great effect. Whoever was behind the music might not be (doesn't ned to be) extremely talented, but he was at least strikingly smart.

Was the music "temp-tracked" or composed, or arranged?

Composed and arranged, depending on the scene's needs. It didn't seem to come up with anything new (not saying it didn't, you just don't notice it), but it was tastefully done.