Philadelphia Pops - JW 80th Birthday Celebration

nightscape94

Not sure if any other JWFan folks are here tonight, but I just arrived and was pleasantly surprised to see Essay for Strings on the bill (although its mislabeled as Essay for Orchestra). It wasn't listed on the website program. Sweet! Never heard a Williams concert work live. Congrats to the orchestra for including it.

I'm trying to upload a photo of the program set but my cell phone coverage blows.

Tim

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The concert was at the outdoor theater called the Mann Center, in Philadelphia. Great venue, don't get there that often.

I was absolutely thrilled to see so many families and small children. Young and old alike. I experienced an odd and altogether unexpected delight in seeing their reactions. There was a girl sitting next to me who couldn't have been any older than 13. She was engaged during the whole show, hooting and hollering in appreciation after a few pieces, clapping all the way. Unlike some of the other Williams' concerts I've been to, this crowd did something unusual. They didn't clap during the beginning of each piece. I sincerely appreciated this, since I've had a few ventures when the audience started laughing at the beginning of Jaws, or the Mission theme. Not this time. Every one was relaxed, astute, and respectful. They saved their cheerful exuberance until after the works were finished.

When I saw Essay for Strings I was amazed, and couldn't wait to hear it. I did, however, have a strange moment of trepidation about how the audience would react. It's completely unlike everything else on the program and I honestly wouldn't doubt being the only person in the 4,500 capacity crowd that even knew it. Especially in an outdoor setting where some of the smaller moments and quieter nuances may go unnoticed. But during it's entire 12 minute duration I didn't here any crying children, no restlessness or shifting in seats, no complaints. The girl next to me sat perfectly still, captivated, and clapped enthusiastically at the end.

It was a beautiful albeit chilly summer night, smells of hot dogs and funnel cake in the air from a nearby food stand perched on the grounds, and decidedly gorgeous Williams music to monopolize your senses.

They did play the Imperial March as an encore.

img0963g.jpg

A few minutes to go. Almost ready to start:

img0960bo.jpg

After coming back from intermission, Williams had a pre-recorded message specifically for us, thanking everyone for taking time to hear his music. That's great John, now get back to work!

My phone camera didn't pick it up very well.

img0962qr.jpg

Tim

Actually there was one other member of the audience tonight who was familiar with Essay for Strings - me! And by the angle of you pictures it seems like we were sitting pretty close to one another too!

Really great concert with some very energetic performances. I had comp tickets, but I would have gladly paid for this show. As far as energy and performance it blew away the NY Phil concert conducted by Williams this past October. And no horn flubs in the solos in Adventures on Earth this time!

Looks like it was a terrfic concert programme and performance wise and they managed to squeeze in Essay for Strings which was a bold choice for a 80th Birthday Concert. And a personal message from Williams to boot, another rare treat. :)