Spielberg & Cruise on Oprah

SkyMaker

Spielberg & Cruise will be on Oprah, Monday, June 10.

They'll talk about Minority Report for the entire 1 hour show.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We could hope they'll talk about Minority Report for the whole hour, but considering the interviewer and how they all treat Tom Cruise, I'd be shocked if we don't have to sit through stuff about Cruise's personal life, his braces, his birthday and all that other junk. Why aren't people interested more in Cruise talking about his craft? This kind of thing drives me nuts in relation to Spielberg films, as the film should be the centerpiece, not the actor's personal life. Argggh. :angry:

I'm okay now. Just had to vent over the shallow media. :roll:

Why aren't people interested more in Cruise talking about his craft? This kind of thing drives me nuts in relation to Spielberg films, as the film should be the centerpiece, not the actor's personal life. Argggh. :angry:

I'm okay now. Just had to vent over the shallow media. :roll:

I agree with the shallow media, but you know, the media feeds on what the audience wants, so I think it would be better if you blame the shallow audience.

One thing, though, at least Oprah is a much more intelligent interviewer.

Why aren't people interested more in Cruise talking about his craft?  

Ummmmmm are you joking?? Dude hes a pretty boy. Its not like as if Tom Cruise does Oscar worthy performances. You might as well sit Freddy Prinze Jr. down and ask him about the deep motivations he has to feel to get into his roles. :angry:

I think Cruise is a good actor, and yes it IS entirely possible he could give an Oscar worthy performance. He was great in Top Gun, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July, Mission Impossible, and Eyes Wide Shut. If they asked him, I bet he could discuss his craft intelligently. They won't ask him though. They'll ask about his failed marriage.

I totally, and politely, disagree with saying Cruise isn't Oscar caliber. I used to think he was just a pretty boy from movies like Top Gun and Cocktail, but movies like that are actually rarer in his body of work now than not.

Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky. All excellent performances. Jerry McGuire I can do without a lot of the posturing in, but to say he's on the same level as Freddie Prinze, Jr. is absolutely ludicrous.

And the man is obviously very dedicated and interested in his work, and when he is asked intelligent questions by intelligent journalists, he is well spoken and interesting to listen too. And again, I agree that it's just the media feeding the general populus what they want to hear (garbage trivia about other people's personal lives). But that doesn't mean I have to like it :)

For some reason Cruise continues to be a very underappriciated actor.

They said he could not do a film like Rain Man.

They said he much to lightweight for Born On The 4th.

They said he could never be credible as Lestat in Interview With The Vampire.

IMO, Tom Cruise is a great actor, and i'm sure he will be great in Minority Report.

There is nothing that defeats an arguement more that the d-word.

Sorry William :twisted: but to compare Cruise to Freddy Prinze Jr. is wrong too.

People don't you get it. Tom Cruise isn't an "actor", he is a "Star". Freddy Prinze Jr, isn't a good actor and he certainly isn't a star.

Stars are never recognised for their acting ability. They are recognised for their looks, their fame, the personal lives. Nobody cares about Cruise's acting, they want to know about his marriage to Kidman, they want to know is he gay, is he straight. Thats the price of Stardom.

And unfortunately Tom is a good actor and sometimes he is a great actor.

He was great in Taps, when he will held his own against Tim Hutton and Sean Penn, hell he stole that movie. He was awesome in Top Gun. He was good in that very bizarre Vanilla Sky. He was so-so in Eyes Wide Shut, he was so-so in some other films, but those are rare events.

Tom may someday win an Oscar and he may well deserve to.