Williams in 2003?

Harry Potter

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to his music, hearing his cliched trumpet fanfares and boring orchestral textures. Plus his music seems melodramatic.

The Musketeer not up to Independence Day? In my humble opinion, The Musketeer is an awesome action score, and is on par or even ahead of Independence Day.

~Harry

I agree with Morn on this one, I couldn't stand Arnold's Musketeer theme; it was corny and old-fashioned without capturing the grandeur of a Rozsa or a Korngold.

I like ID4 and Stargate, but I do feel that Joel Goldsmith's arrangment of the main theme for SG-1 is much more powerful.

I just can't stand his James Bonds. They're waaay too overrated and add nothing to the emotional impact of the films; they're nothing more than sonic wallpaper. Oh, how I miss John Barry!!!

Alejandro

Sorry, but I'm in total disagreement.

I love the theme from The Musketeer. It's so adventurous and stunning!

I love ID4, and that's my favorite Arnold score.

I haven't heard Stargate yet, only clips, but it sounds awesome.

Godzilla has no commercial release, so that one's out too, but I've heard great things about it.

I haven't heard Tomorrow Never Dies, but I have The World is Not Enough. To me, who likes Arnold, I think he did a great job fitting his scores into the movie. Great action music!

~Harry, who respects AHerrera's opinion :)

Harry:

If you loved ID4, then by all means get Stargate, it's an awesome score (but you might also want to give SG-1 a listen).

As for Bond, perhaps I am simply spoiled by Barry. Take a listen at Goldfinger or The Living Daylights (I seem to recall you were looking for recommendations in another post; get Ryko's Living Daylights before it runs out, trust me! I recommend this one especially for you, since it's in a more modern style, which seems to me closer to your tastes and an excellent introduction for the older Barrys).

Granted, Arnold's Bond scores are not a travesty like Serra's Goldeneye, but before the Brosnan era, Barry had set such a high standard that whenever another composer was invited to do a Bond, they really worked hard to do something innovative. It'd be nice to see this kind of thing happenning again!

--Alejandro, who also respects Harry's opinions! :)

I like Arnold's Bond scores. They retain the classy 'Barry' quality, but also have the updated sound. The best thing about TND and TWINE is that they use the Bond theme extensively. His techno is pretty interesting to listen to in conjunction with the orchestra as well. By the way, is Arnold going to score Die Another Day? That would be great!

Harry:

If you loved ID4, then by all means get Stargate, it's an awesome score (but you might also want to give SG-1 a listen).

As for Bond, perhaps I am simply spoiled by Barry.  Take a listen at Goldfinger or The Living Daylights (I seem to recall you were looking for recommendations in another post; get Ryko's Living Daylights before it runs out, trust me!  I recommend this one especially for you, since it's in a more modern style, which seems to me closer to your tastes and an excellent introduction for the older Barrys).

Granted, Arnold's Bond scores are not a travesty like Serra's Goldeneye, but before the Brosnan era, Barry had set such a high standard that whenever another composer was invited to do a Bond, they really worked hard to do something innovative.  It'd be nice to see this kind of thing happenning again!

--Alejandro, who also respects Harry's opinions! :)

Yes, I plan on getting Stargate. I've heard wonderful things, so I expect to be delighted!

The three Bond scores I will be looking for are Goldfinger, OHMSS, and Moonraker. Those seem like the popular ones, so I will start with those.

~Harry

I like Arnold's Bond scores.  They retain the classy 'Barry' quality, but also have the updated sound.  The best thing about TND and TWINE is that they use the Bond theme extensively.  His techno is pretty interesting to listen to in conjunction with the orchestra as well.  By the way, is Arnold going to score Die Another Day?  That would be great!

Arnold will be scoring it!. Here's the link!

~Harry, who's looking foward to it